Skinning and Texturing

Started by
2 comments, last by JohnBolton 19 years, 8 months ago
I've been reading a couple of tutorials now on how to model things (I'm personally using MilkShape) and am moving on to skinning the models. One of the things I'm working on is a house. In the tutorials I've seen, they seem to use UV Mapping (i believe this is what it's called) where the model is sort of unwraped into 2D, where you can create a single image that contains all of the textures needed for a particular model. Now, my question is, would this work with tiling? Normally I've specified UV coordinates > 1.0 to specify tiling, but now that there are multiple textures on a single image, I believe this destroys that. Right now, as I see it (and I could be very wrong, much help is appreciated!), there are 2 methods to skinning: creating a single image that holds all the textures for a particular model, or have an image for each texture in the model (images that could possibly be loaded once and used across a variety of models in game). Is there a better method, or a best of all methods?
Advertisement
I've often wondered this myself. From a resource point of view a single texture file would be more adequate. I originally made it so that my model format could support multiple textures but I decided that a single texture for the reason of lower resource usage was the best way to go.. and I stick by that decision.
When i need simple tiling for walls i just make some lists of textured quads(textured with the needed texture fragment) and i
call them as needed.

Using texture coordinates >1.0f don't work, or maybe i don't know how to do it since it repeats the entire texture.
If you have a bunch of textures that are used together, it is usually a good idea to combine them into a single texture.

However,
1. Tiled textures can't be combined (unless they are only tiled in one direction).
2. Filtering (as opposed to point sampling) will cause the images to bleed into each other at the edges.
3. Combining shared textures can cause problems because the unused parts of the combined texture take up space.
3. There is usually a limit to the size of a texture.
4. Combining textures is an optimatization, so it should be done later in the development process.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement