Sign in to follow this  

Visual C++ hang... so confused

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey i just got a new laptop, 3 gHZ p4, 60 gigs and 512 DDR ram... an all around good computer. Now, i opened Visual C++ today and found that everytime i started writing a variable, function, even double slashes for a comment, the program would hang for around 30 seconds. now the task bar showed that it was taking 10-15 percent of the machines process power, and the rest of windows and its programs worked fine while it was thinking. i could hear stuff going on in my computer and i know this isnt normal... any ideas of what this may be? im really desparate because i bought this computer so i could code around the house (my old laptop died... tragic battery failiur) and so this is a real bummer for me, right now its taking me up to 2 minutes to write a line of code, and its not stopping me for now but its REALLY getting on my nerves as you could guess... Thanks for your help, Chris

Using anti-virus software you haven't used before? Or different anti-virus software settings you haven't used before? Only likely thing I could think of that would cause this is overly aggressive anti-virus software. Just a guess.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I can't think of anything specific, ive never heard that problem before.
Searching the knowledge base at microsofts site would probably be a good idea, if you haven't already.

virus/spyware scans never hurt, and also, you should also mention what os and version of vc++ you are using

well lets see, i do have a stupid trial version of norton that has been annoying me every startup (until just now, i went through the setup, maybe ill try disabling it for now)

i am using windows xp home edition and version 6.0 of Visual C++... and actually i looked at the processes again and vc++ is only taking 2-4 percent of the processing power... yet it doesnt respond for 30 seconds and if i click on it it sais the program is not responding.

I did figure something out htough, i started a new project and didnt notice the same lag, but as i sifted through my more complicated programming (well, even the simple programs consisting of 200- lines of code) lag was definitly promenant, it seems the computer is having trouble access the list of variables, functions etc so maybe it is the antivirus

Is it hitting the hard drive? Sometimes you don't notice when a laptop is thrashing because those drives are so quite and hardly give off vibration. I would reinstall and try again. Or have you done that already?

~Wave

Does it happen only when it tries the syntax autocomplete feature? It could be a corrupt ncb for your project or even the entire autocomplete cache for VC (not sure where this is).

First thing to try is deleting the .ncb file from within your project dir, forcing VC to recache it next time you open your project.

Quote:
Original post by evolutional
Does it happen only when it tries the syntax autocomplete feature? It could be a corrupt ncb for your project or even the entire autocomplete cache for VC (not sure where this is).

First thing to try is deleting the .ncb file from within your project dir, forcing VC to recache it next time you open your project.

Nice job.

~Wave

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.