You can't even give it away!

Started by
27 comments, last by paulbird 19 years, 8 months ago
your site is slow...
this can be a problem...
No Soup For You!Come Back 1 Year Later!
Advertisement
I've had that argument before about viruses in your software and such-like, but you can buy compilations of 100 freeware games in the shops with a message on the back saying that the publisher has no responsibility if this damages your computer, and the same people use this without a second thought. For all we know Bill Gates (or an unscrupulus employee) might have hidden a secret code inside Windows XP that will destroy all your files in the year 2005, no-one can say for sure, but (most of us) still use Windows. So maybe its just a case of image?

P.S.
I see that my hits have gone up to 102, mostly from this forum, so it will be back to 60 tomorrow - maybe that is why it is loading slowly?
what about starting sourcefore projects?

if i need a little tool for something (whatever it is) my first check is sourceforge in one window and in another one google

as far as i know most people trust sourceforge projects concerning spyware/trojans/viruses etc.
Well, you have to convince people to download your products. If they are free or not, you have to sell your product. The website has horrid load times and looks very bad. If anyone had any sense, they would not download anything from that site for fear of a virus or what not.

You should not be thinking of competing with paid software, just compete with other freeware programs.
I don't reckon my website is that bad. I just tried to keep it simple like Google. But I suppose it could be a little better! I think I will invent a funny logo like the GIMP character (whatever that is supposed to be) or the LINUX penguin. Maybe an platapus or an armadillo or something?
Try anti-aliasing the logo.
Not giving is not stealing.
Sorry but, YUCK!
Applications should never make abundant use of bright colours in their GUI. It makes the program look like it's trying to appeal to 3 year olds, which is odd considering it is for considerably older people. Even though the background gradient may look kinda nice, and I can understand wanting to get away from that awful Windows 95 grey colour.

There is some Microsoft book which I can't remember its title of, which explains the dos and don'ts of interfaces. Making it more professional looking might be a way to get more copies used out there.

I'm sorry to be the one telling you this. Please remember that this IS merely constructive criticism. I'm sure it's wonderful in terms of functionality etc.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Web search will probably be the most common way for people to find your program. There are several things you can do to improve the chance of your site being found:
- Research on using HTML "META" tags for keywords and description of your page. This makes it look better on search result pages.
- Explicitly submit your site to Google (http://www.google.com/addurl.html).
- Find forums for users who might be interested in your programs, and post there. (Make the thread title something like "free utility for X", and say something like "comments and suggestions welcome"). A very important criterion for Google and other page rankings is how many pages link to you. With some luck, these people will also point others to the software.
Quote:
There is some Microsoft book which I can't remember its title of, which explains the dos and don'ts of interfaces. Making it more professional looking might be a way to get more copies used out there.

That or any Human Factors book will do. I took a human factors class which talked about this kind of thing.

-SirKnight
Quote:Original post by paulbird
2) The main problem though is timing. A simple example is expanding the following:

(a+3b+4c+d+e+f+g+2h+i+j)*(2a+3b+c+d+e+f+4g+h+i+7j)

When this is expanded this creates 10x10=100 terms. Which it can do in a milli-second. But then it has to group terms together for example: 3bc + 12bc --> 15bc which requires matching each of 100 terms with the 100 other terms which gives approximately 100x100=10000 checks, which is where it starts to get a bit slow. I'm not sure if there is any good solution to this other than to display a message: "This may take some time..."

If there are a lot of terms, first sort them according to the variables in the term (O(n log n) time); then any terms which need to be groups will be adjacent. Standard trick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement