Sign in to follow this  

Maze Game idea.

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First Off I'd like to say that this idea started out as a board game, but I think it would also work as a simple computer game. I'm leaving the instructions pretty much as is, but I would like some feed back on the idea. What sort of feedback can you provide? For a picture of the game board go to: Well the idea behind this game is rather simple. 2-4 players start from different corners of the game board. They attempt to move their pieces through the maze to the goal at the end. The catch is that they can move walls to open a path to the goal, or use them to block their opponents along the way. Pieces 4 pawns (1 each red, blue, yellow, green) 100 maze wall pieces (or less) ---Each wall piece is 2 grid squares long. 1 game board ---The game board is set up in a 20x20 grid, with the middle 4x4 grid squares representing the goal. Along the grid lines are raised sections to place the walls into. 1 6-sided movement die 1 8-sided maze wall die (labeled 0,1,1,1,2,2,3,4) Set Up The computer randomly organizes the pieces in one quarter of the board, and then rotates it accordingly to each of the other three quarters of the game board. Each player places their pawn on the colored space in the 4 corners. Goal Be the first person to reach the center of the maze and claim the treasure! Gameplay Players take turns rolling the movement and Wall dice, moving walls and their pawns. (button press) A turn consists of 2 phases, the Wall phase and the movement phase. Wall Phase The player picks up and rolls the 8 sided wall die. The player may then move any piece on the board that was not moved in the previous round. (a round consists of one turn for each player) For each point on the die a player may move a wall either by sliding one space (1/2 wall length) or rotating it 90 degrees from one of the ends. The wall(s) moved by a player will turn that players color until thier next turn. Any wall that is moved by a player, cannot be moved again until that player’s next turn. Any combination of pieces may be moved any number of spaces as long as the movement adds up to the number on the die or less. Two walls may not occupy the same place. A wall may not "push" another wall. Ex Player one gets a 4, he may move one piece 4 times, or 2 pieces Twice, or 4 pieces once. Movement phase After the wall phase a player enters the movement phase. The player rolls the movement die (regular six sided die) and moves the number of spaces on the die. Two players may occupy the same space, and therefore do not "jump" spaces or players. This should not need to be said, but you cannot move through walls. Losing a turn If a player is in a position where he is walled in on all 4 sides of one square, and is unable to move any of those 4 walls, during his wall phase he will be unable to move during the movement phase and will thus skip his ENTIRE turn. This includes using that player’s wall phase to move other walls on the game board. The first player to reach the center wins the game. Optional Rules Trap and Teleportation spaces Should a player land on a trap (X) piece he loses the rest of his movement phase, and his next wall phase. Should a player land on a warp piece (@), he may use one movement to travel to any other warp spot on the map. [Edited by - robert4818 on August 21, 2004 8:06:29 PM]

Still no joy. Does your host allow remote accessing?

But pertaining to the subject, it sounds like a great game to program. It's simple tile-based, hot seat multiplayerable, and sounds fun! You should post up the results when finished!

Translation: if you don't program it I will (empty threat).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Mushu
Still no joy. Does your host allow remote accessing?

But pertaining to the subject, it sounds like a great game to program. It's simple tile-based, hot seat multiplayerable, and sounds fun! You should post up the results when finished!

Translation: if you don't program it I will (empty threat).

Your on...I have no programming experience...I am barely able to make a simple webpage....(and the picture is from my yahoo breifcase...only place i could post...If your truly interested I could email you the picture directly)

Above was me....(forgot to log in on new computer)

I had someone who was willing to program this game for me...but he never bothered to get around to it. But i figured i'd post the idea here and see if the idea was likeable. I figure it would be something simple and fun to play... I even managed to mock up a simple version of the board game...but getting people to play board games these days is very difficult...

Yeah - I hate to say this, but I think I can finish it in a couple of days... I already *stole* your idea and am adapting old code to suit it. Just have to write all the game code.

So I guess my threat wasn't so empty after all huh?

Okay... now my eyes are bleeding. Neeeeeed... cafeine...

Quote:
Original post by JaydRyu
Sounds like a variation on The Amazing Labyrinth from Ravenburg.

I keep hearing that...but to be honest i'd never even heard of the game until i posted this idea on a board game forum. But then again board games tend to be variations of eachother if you look at enough of them.

Checkers v. Chess
Risk v. Axis Allies v. Samurai Swords
Etc.

Video Games have the same sort of variation.

Mario64 vs (any other N64 platformer)
etc

This however does not make a game bad, nor does it necisarrily make a game a rip-off. Some ideas are just semi-common and the way you approach them is just different.

Okay, well... I've made, err, a variation of your game.

Mushu Squares!

Problem was I adapted some REALLY REALLY old code (from when I was first learning directX) which was really shabby and didn't have much room to maneuver in... oh well.

But basically I made the walls one piece blocks, did away with the across-the-board wall movement - now you have to manually shove the walls in your opponent's face.

Walls that you have moved cannot be moved by other players until your next turn.

Oh, and sorry about the fact that the graphics suxor, it was really old and done really fast.

Enjoy!

Well your idea is increadibly similar to Amazing/Master Labyrinth.

I'll explain the rules so you can see how close they are.

There is an 8x8 board where every other space is fixed maze tile, the rest are empty spaces. The game consists of 49 maze tiles which are placed at random in the empty spaces on the board with one left over.

Turns are divded into two phases wall and move. In the wall phase a player pushes the left over tile into a row or column on the board. Which shifts all the tiles one space and results in one tile being pushed off the board. In the move phase players can move as far as they want but not through walls. The object is to get the most pieces of treasure a player can move again after picking up a piece of treasure.

as you can see they are very similar.

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.