• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vajuras

Skeletal Animation Tutorial

This topic is 5169 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just finished writing a software skinning tutorial and I was hoping someone could proofread it before I submit to a tutorial site (like gamedev). Here's the linky.

Advertisement
Looks good :)

In the 2nd paragraph the sentence "Certain vertices within the mesh may be associated with more than one vertex so it is important that the weight associated with the vertex is present also." was a bit confusing for me.

Looks good from first glance. I'll read some more when I get round to my skeletal system in a month or so... It's bookmarked and waiting [smile]

That looks really really good. I wish there were more comprehensive tutorials like this written when I coded my skeletal animation system, this is the best article on the subject I've yet encountered.

Excellent work.

I like the tutorial, it comes from a good perspective and lets me understand it even though I haven't implemented skeletal animation yet. Thanks!

Though, I was dissapointed that your demo didn't run. It crashes, all the log file has is:
Loading Library ScriptSystem
Loading Library DX9RenderPipeline

Here are some suggestions.

The first picture (of the arm) has waaay too much stuff in it. It's got a blue mesh, a white mesh, a red bone, a yellow bone, a bunch of white plusses, a bunch of green plusses, a bunch of box corners and some garbage on the side. "Notice how right where the joints met, we see vertices are being shared between two different bones." Nope. I don't see that.

Remove the WMatrix class code. You don't talk about its implementation, so you don't need to show it.

Quote:
Original post by okonomiyaki
Though, I was dissapointed that your demo didn't run. It crashes, all the log file has is:
Loading Library ScriptSystem
Loading Library DX9RenderPipeline

Hey, make sure you have the latest version of dx9 installed (summer 2004). It looks like the engine failed to load the DX9 Driver because you're missing the latest version.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

Hey, make sure you have the latest version of dx9 installed (summer 2004). It looks like the engine failed to load the DX9 Driver because you're missing the latest version.

Got it. Works fine! I forgot about the summer update because I use OpenGL a lot more, but it's good to update DX anyway!

Your tutorial will be put to a true test as I start implementing skeletal animation myself :) thanks!

Quote:
Original post by Wudan
That looks really really good. I wish there were more comprehensive tutorials like this written when I coded my skeletal animation system, this is the best article on the subject I've yet encountered.

Excellent work.

Heh, I wanted to make sure I covered every point. I noticed a lot of tutorials online fail to present nice C++ code that looks pretty portable. I know a lot of beginner get confused asking, "When do I lock my buffers?" - if they're using DirectX or they may think they need a lot of advanced math routines. Just wanted to present some methods that are pretty easy to hack out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!