Sign in to follow this  

Who can explain me these "bit" things?

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, i'm decided to start a simple game. I made a simple room in 3dsmax right a box empty inside. I save my work and make a new scene with a ball (my player). Now i want export either the room and the ball so i can load in a simple game. Suppose i've made the loop code of a game, now i want to load the room and the character inside. For the moment i need to know that. Who can help me?

For starters: Do you know how to load the models in the first place, and have you chosen a format? Do you have a collision detection and response system, and if you do, does it handle triangle-sphere or triangle-capsule collisions (basic collision systems)? Do you have an input handling mechanism (player controls) implemented?

Please answer these, and we can be more helpful.

Kind regards,
-Nik

Nik is on the right track here (and perhaps this topic should be in the beginner's forum).

However, if all you want to do is render a mesh, I recommend the following:

(1) Check out the Direct3D 'Tutorial 6: Using Meshes' tutorial that is included in the DirectX SDK.

(2) Additionaly, read some of the other tutorials at sites listed here. Andy Pike has a tutorial on meshes.

(3) If you are interested in using Microsoft's .X files, try the Panda Exporter.

:D Thanks guys!

Anyway for the moment if it is possible i should avoid the collision or animation. I what right learn how load .x files (so mesh exported by 3dsmax) the apply:
1) 3D movement at the ball
2) Bounding sphere Collision
4) Texture and lights

If i'll do it thanks your advices (how you are doing right) i'll get my goal.

EDIT: i'm using 3dsmax 6.0 (do i need panda plugin?)

Quote:
Original post by Link
EDIT: i'm using 3dsmax 6.0 (do i need panda plugin?)
The SDK Extra's package comes with an exporter, but the Panda one is actually much better.

Quote:
Original post by Link
:D Thanks guys!

Anyway for the moment if it is possible i should avoid the collision or animation. I what right learn how load .x files (so mesh exported by 3dsmax) the apply:
1) 3D movement at the ball
2) Bounding sphere Collision
4) Texture and lights

To easily load an .x file, use D3DXLoadMeshFromX. You'll get a mesh interface pointer, which you can subsequently use to draw subsets of the mesh or manipulate it's data.

To "move" things in d3d, one generally sets the world transform matrix to correspond for the desired object transformation, and then drawing the object to be affected by the said transformation.

Collision detection with response is a fairly advanced topic regarding the required programming effort. With a bit of googling, I found this, though - an implementation of capsule collision is discussed there, along with non-uniform collision space scaling. Read up, it becomes more clear once you try implementing it.

The SDK has more than enough info on lighting and texturing, and it is very well written also, IMHO. Therefore, I don't know how better guide you there than recommending reading it [smile].

-Nik

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.