Helping out Salsa & Matt

Started by
19 comments, last by Salsa 19 years, 8 months ago
As you get further into development, you will find other things eat up your time (not specifying the map format, which likely your coder will do his own way, completely disregarding this conversation anyway :P)

On my projects, the main sinks of time tend to be (order may vary):

1) Designing the game as you go.
What do characters look like? What items are in the game? How many baddies are there? (Not simply the game story, which most people come up with well in advance)

No matter how much I work on this ahead of time, there is still alot of figuring it out as I go.

2) Interface... How do you want the user to interact with the game?
Gamepads? Bindable keys?
Will there be menus?

3) Multiplayer?

4) Art! .. stupid details like what is the ground texture going to look like? What kind of lighting will I use?
How should I make weapon/item models (or sprites)?

Anyway, just trying to tease out some real delay-causing obstacles, or project killers.

- Jacob
"1 is equal to 2 for significantly large quantities of 1" - Anonymous
Advertisement
Oh, as far as the game content goes, I am moving in full-gear. The creative portion of the game is no worries; I have my storyline, characters, weapons, enemies, and all of that jazz down. I have concept sketches of all the stations, rooms and corridors, I drew up floor plans, etc.

I'm working on an interface for communicating with terminals scattered about (think Doom 3, only a dialog screen will appear like the old days).

Basically, everything on my end I'm confident about, I just want to gather up as much useful information for my buddy as I can before he dives into this.

Thanks for the helpful information thus far, guys.

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

Quote:Yeah, and the result just happens to look a lot like a quadtree.

Feel free to try it, its definatly a workable system, its just not nearly as efficiant nor as elegant as a quadtree (which in turn isn't as efficiant as some really clever stuff).

My first iteration definately ended up being pretty much like a quadtree. That's when I scrapped the whole thing and started again. The final design looks nothing like it, and it will be a lot more efficient. I've got over 300 peices of paper and a set of proof-of-concept test programs that say so.
If we help, do we get custom made avatars? :D
-----If you thought I was helpful, rate me down.If you thought I wasn't helpful, rate me down as well.This idiot didn't read my signature and tried to insult me.
Haha, that or I'll incorporate your names into the game in some way. Anyone up for being a lowly scientist killed off by an infestation? =O

Say Salsa.
On a side note. Just curious: Did GDNet give you an avatar for all the great avatars you made? Cause it doesnt say GDNet+:D

-CProgrammer
As for a tip:
Design the game nicely into classes and perhaps even dll's.
Make a small engine.
This way you can expand very easily and adjust to future technology.
This kind of thing isnt too difficult to learn. But only if you do it in the beginning. If you want to add the design half way through then your busted.
-CProgrammer
Yeah, my account has secret powers granted behind it.

Anyway, I've collected as much information as I can on the required portions of the game for Matt (programmer) that he isn't familiar with. I've created a handsome list of reading material covering:

1. Portal systems
2. Reading and converting Worldcraft .MAP formats
3. Loading and rendering MD2 models

I have no doubt that he can tackle it; Matt's now a 2nd year student at MIT, and him and I have created quite a few games prior to this (mostly 2D, but also a raycasting game). I'm just trying to gather as much useful reading as I can so he can familarize himself with these concepts.

What else am I missing? A texture system won't be a big deal, as that will be covered in the Worldcraft documents I've found. I'm not familiar with lighting in OpenGL (dynamic lighting, that is), so I'll try and find some information on such.

Take that image, minimalize the amount of geometry (there won't be rigorous amounts of piping and 'useless' artifacts, etc), and change the camera to an overhead position with a dynamic field of view. This is what we're hoping to achieve. As far as the graphics and models go, that's not an issue, I'm working on it now. I'm just concerned with what's required to get it to render.

Can you guys think of anything I haven't thought of yet? Assume the programmer is capable of learning what you need him to.

One thing I think your buddy will have to be familiar with is shaders. Knowing how to use vertex and pixel shaders (or at least what can be done with them) is a must IMO. It's not too hard to learn actually. I'd suggest learning GLSL, as it seems to be the best of the high level shading languages right now overall. There's a good introduction video on GLSL at the ATI website from GDC 2004 at http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc_video.html
Quote:Original post by Nemesis2k2
One thing I think your buddy will have to be familiar with is shaders.

Nonsense. If more people focused on gameplay rather than the latest bleeding-edge whizz-bang effect, we might actually get some games with new and interesting gameplay, rather than the same re-hashed stuff. Thats even more true for small indie/hobby stuff, where you don't have nearly as many resources and man power.

One method I used when I started my current game was to just keep the graphics as simple-yet-functional until I actually had some gameplay. Then you can actually find out if your game idea is fun. Only when you've got something worth playing you can start adding graphics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement