Sign in to follow this  

Working Overseas (imigration - America)

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I dont know if this is the right place to put this, but here goes... Basically i want to work in America as a Designer (level.. game... somthing along those lines), im currently employed as a Designer in the UK, however as i just stated; i want to move to america (personal reasons) if any one knows can you please answer the following... - How much Industry exp do i need to work in america (based on the fact that i am an 18yr old British citizen... as i know the imigration thing can be a bitch) - I head that companys treat imigrants (or aliens as they call them) like shit untill they get a green card, and use the excuse *well your working towards a green card, so unles you dont want it anymore...*, is this true for most games companies too? - Would i be able to go for a green card? or will they put me on some visa bulshit and make me leave if/when i leave the company? - How long would it take to get a green card also any links to websites holding information related to any of the questions would be great Thanks in advance

> How long would it take to get a green card

Last I've heard, it take around 8 - 10 years to get a green card in the US. So you would need a visa, renewed every year as long as you can prove employment.

> I head that companys treat imigrants (or aliens
> as they call them) like shit {...}

Depends on the industry. Mexican lettuce pickers may get a low down. But this is a brains-oriented industry and the last guy you want to piss off in any software development organization is the one that builds the products you are generating revenues with...

-cb

Coming from the UK you'll have a lot less trouble than someone coming from Mexico, El Salvador, etc. For starters, you are presumably quite fluent in English (first language etc) and have a solid education. A green card may be more than what you want - it establishes you as a permanent resident. A work visa may be more in line. You'll have a better shot if you line work up before you come here. From what I understand, the immigration services will look better on you if you have a job already lined up because your employer will then act as your "sponsor".

I would suggest that you google for more information. There's bound to be a lot of information available from the federal government at various websites - although the Immigration and Naturalization Service has been wrapped into Homeland Security. (Are you certain you want to come to the US? Have you thought about New Zealand?).

thanks for your replys (any more would be very welcome)
8-10 yrs.. pff that sucks.. yup i definatly wana live over there, have a very serious relationship with someone over there, may even end up just geting married (we plan to anyway..) so thats bound to happen within the 8-10 yrs, shit.. thats stupid, well any more suggestions would be great,

what i reallyneed to know if the ammount of exp i need toget int teh game industry in the US (as i said i already am in teh industry in teh UK), but i hard its somthing like 6-8 yrs education or 4 yrs exp? hich again is fuckin stupid imo,

why you americans gotta be so damn tight :P lol, or your government atleast :)

If you have a GF there, and plan to get married, then get married, it will be much easier for you to get a green card.
As for the industry, unless you are above exceptional, and have some degrees (you are only 18, so you can't have the degrees they want) you will end up as a dish washer. For example, I have a greencard, I am a good programmer, I worked at games before, I am the lead programmer of a relatively successful indie MMORPG, but all my jobs in the US were cook, dish washer, CD/DVD packaging with a lot of spanish people, and now, the best job since I cam here more than 1 year ago is embroidery operator.

You will need a degree or the employment equivalent (which is probably the 6-8 years you heard about).

.... thats fuckin stupid, surely i can get an equivilent job over there?

i dont expect to work my way upto senior designer only to goto america and work as a dishwasher for 4 yrs while in college before i can get an entry level designer job AGAIN (which will probably pay less than lead dish washer), lol thats just fuckin stupid

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you were a senior designer at a real company, you should be able to roll into the equivalent position in the states (assuming someone will hire you - but that will be based on your skills).

ahh thats good then, well ive just got into the industry (almost half yr now), so in two yrs i should get a bit of exp under my belt, ad i still work for mods too, so, i guess that will always help

thanks for all your postys, anymore will be great :)

It also depends in what state you will move. I live in PA, and there are virtually no IT jobs nearby (let alone designing jobs). In California, on the other hand, you might be more successful. But again, you will need a portofolio, most of the game jobs (especially game design) require you to have worked at at LEAST 1 PUBLISHED game. Most of them require at least 2 games tho.

ahh thats kkol, in 2 yrs time i would have worked on two titles (giving i manage to fool them into keep me on that long :P), and yea, i noticed theres alota jobs in CA and mainly to the north-west of the US, but location shoulnt be a problem, but would rather move to a nice area of the US (if that even exsists), and CA's got a pretty bad rep :S

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Raduprv
It also depends in what state you will move. I live in PA, and there are virtually no IT jobs nearby (let alone designing jobs)

Really? There are 3 games studios right down the road from me. (Breakaway, Firaxis, and Big Huge)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by CrysAk
would rather move to a nice area of the US (if that even exsists)

Doesn't exist. So many people are trying to leave the US becuase it is so bad. :)

Most of this country is wonderful.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by CrysAk
would rather move to a nice area of the US (if that even exsists)

Doesn't exist. So many people are trying to leave the US becuase it is so bad. :)

Most of this country is wonderful.

lol tried to view your profile and i cant O_o!!!!, ahh well, lol ill quite hapily slag off the US with my name, cos,.. it really is that bad, sux really, if the government got their act together it wouldnt be a bad place, as they have alot of nice land over there.

hmm well its either gf move over here, or me move over there, and shes still in school over there, and + i can insure a skyline and other mad cars lol, but wound rather live over here tbo, as i cant go without beer! jebus that crasy

ahh well, any more info on getin in teh game industry in teh US will be great :), can never know to much about it :)

or if you know someone who knows some one that can get me a green card :F GREAT lol, but yea.. dout it

Guest Anonymous Poster
The US isn't a bad place to live. Don't believe all the propaganda. Think about why they are telling you it is bad for a minute. Taxes are fairly low and the government stays out of most peoples lives (especially compared to Europe). Crime outside of the big cities is fairly low (I will admit that some of the big cities are a mess). The cost of living is less than most of Europe while wages are higher. Lawyers and corporations run the country and little is socialized.

ive been there and seen it, and it is a very bad place from what ive seen... wont go any further than that as it just gets plain wrong, you have alot of sick pl in america, that need to be sorted out, and because the governemnt isnt sorting it out, nothings being done about it :/ but yea lets not go into that, lets talk about teh work related side

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Really? There are 3 games studios right down the road from me. (Breakaway, Firaxis, and Big Huge)

I live near Scranton (and work in Scranton) and there are no adds to IT, except for some little Oracle and stuff like that.
I did submit my CV to a lot of gamming companies in the US, and most of them didn't even bother to reply let alone calling me for an interview. I guess it has to do with not having any diploma (and, of course, with the bad enconomy).

As for living expenses VS income, it's usually better in Europe. In US there is little middle class nowdays. You are either rich or poor.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Raduprv

I did submit my CV to a lot of gamming companies in the US, and most of them didn't even bother to reply let alone calling me for an interview. I guess it has to do with not having any diploma (and, of course, with the bad enconomy).

First off, move to where the games companies are (the companioes are more likely to hire a local). Scranton isn't it (like I have to tell you that). The Baltimore, MD area is the closest to where you currently are. California has the most jobs. If you don't want CA, Austin TX has a thriving community, as do Boston and Seattle.

Actually the flat economy hasn't affected the games industry nearly as bad as the rest of the IT market. Our company has tripled in size and funding in the past couple of years.

Most game companies won't reply to an unsolicited resume. Why? Because they get hundreds a week. It's a lot of work just to scan them to see if there is something that catches the eye much less respond. Unless you are sending to the big boys (who will have an HR department), the person looking at them will typically be an overworked lead programmer/producer etc. who is trying to get back to his main task. The ratio of resumes to openings in the established games companies is over a hundred to one.

There has to be something on the resume that says "Hmmm...he looks promising, better than the other 99 we got today" to get the phone call. A degree is pretty much the minimum. A shipped title or two (ones that the person looking at the resume has heard of) helps also.

Spamming a generic resume is pretty much guaranteed not to work, either. Research the companies that you are interested in and make a resume and cover letter (for each company) that shows why you would be worth hiring for their company. If you don't think it sounds convincing, it isn't.

Oh yeah, spell check it and grammar check it and have someone who you trust read it over. A sloppy resume is not a good advertisement for your skills.

Guest Anonymous Poster
..and here's a dirty little secret...shhhh...don't tell anyone but we don't look at most demos sent to us. If the resume doesn't pique our interest we don't waste the time loading up the disk.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I've only sent my resume ONLY to companies that posted "looking for programmer" ads, and only to those ads where I do have enough knowledge. Of course, moving to California would help, but unfortuantely it's not that easy, especially if you don't have any job offer.

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.