Sign in to follow this  

More OGL questions and suggestion...

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here goes: 1) Apart from C++ what other languages are the best to combine with OGL C, Python etc. 2) In a previous post I asked whether GLSL could be learnt without learning OGL and I was told that it is possible. In that case how can I complement GLSL with Maya or 3DS? 3) Is there a game job shader programmer? Just asking.

1) Pretty much any language that binds with C code can use OpenGL. Lisp, C++, SNOBOL, Lua. There's so many choices, there isn't really a best, just a best for your problem.

The standard languages that games (and most high-perforance GFX applications in general) are written in are: C and C++ :).

There is a new language that I had great fun learning called Cg, for programming shaders in a HLL, but I do not think that there will be many jobs programming shaders any time soon since they are generally < 10 lines long (IMHO).

If you want to get into GFX programming then I would suggest at least learning C, and if you want to do shaders then I suggest "The Cg Tutorial", as Cg == DirectX's HLSL so you'll know how to do shaders for both just in case you decide to 'go to the dark side'.

My two cents, ~SPH

With GLSL and HLSL what chances does Cg have? I am not saying that Cg is crap but since there are specific shading languages for each API what use will Cg have?

Cg will work with DX and OpenGL, however it isnt the same as DX's HLSL, if it was then there would be no way ATI could get different results, fps wise, from Cg shaders and HLSL shaders on D3D apps.

As for the future of Cg vs GLSL, atm CG is in a strong position as it can be used to write high level code for anything from a TNT gfx card upto current DX9 class hardware and on NV hardware at least probably produces better results than GLSL does atm. However, if you forget pre-DX9 class hardware and want to focus on a language which will, given time, be optermised for the hardware to probably a greater level than Cg is then GLSL is probably the better choice.

Ofcourse, if you want to learn a HLSL which will work on D3D and OGL you've only got Cg to work with, but then aside from small differences in syntax i'd argue that most HLSL are basically the same, so it shouldnt be problem to transfer that knowleage from one version to another.

I built 2 similar game engines with the first based on Java and LWJGL (light weight java binding for OpenGL), and the second using C++ and assembly.
They're on average 5-10% apart performance wise, but the development of the Java engine was way faster than the c++ counter part.

Quote:

With GLSL and HLSL what chances does Cg have? I am not saying that Cg is crap but since there are specific shading languages for each API what use will Cg have?

Perhaps when you use a DirectX/OpenGL hybrid, you might want to use an API-independant language. I don't know much about shaders, but this seems like the obvious advantage. And the fact that HLSL isn't portable to non-Win32 operating systems.

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.