Sign in to follow this  

Textures - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460 vs. NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a quick post in the hope that someone out there has expereinced this probelm before, and has a solution or any ideas. I use a GeForce4 Ti 4200 to develop on, and everything works fine. But, i run my application on a PC with a MX 460, and the textures disapear. All geometry is rendered correctly, but all geometry is untextured... I cant seem to find any errors with DX (even with bedug output whacked up to the top), but unformtuanly i cant debug it on the MX machine. So, does anyone have any ideas and want to save me hours or random tapping and printf'in? Hopefully thanks in advance Spree

See whether ValidateDevice returns S_OK. You may have a texture setup that the card can't handle.

I don't believe that sort of thing is reported in the debug output because only the driver can decide whether it can handle the setup. What's valid and what isn't is far too complex to be described entirely by caps bits.

However this may just be a simple case of too many textures, which can be described in caps (D3DCAPS9::MaxSimultaneousTextures). Are you using more than 2? That's all that GeForce 2s can handle. (GF4 MX == GF2)

Yes, the textures i am testing with are 32x32 and 256x256. Im creating them using D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, with either D3DFMT_A4R4G4B4 or D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 as the format (neither work). They are also created as D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC.

I 'persuaded' a friend to debug it on his machine, uing dx9 summer 2004, full debug output. There doesnt appear to be any error messages posted, none of the dx functions fail either.

I have also just updated to summer 2004, and it still works fine, so it want a difference between dx versions.

Spree

Quote:
Original post by Donavon Keithley
See whether ValidateDevice returns S_OK. You may have a texture setup that the card can't handle.

[snip]

However this may just be a simple case of too many textures, which can be described in caps (D3DCAPS9::MaxSimultaneousTextures). Are you using more than 2? That's all that GeForce 2s can handle. (GF4 MX == GF2)

Excellent that was the problem, thanks for the solution. I always throught is you had to many texture statges, then it just wouldnt render the excess ones, as I think thats what my GeForce4 does.

Thanks
Spree

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.