ATI 9600SE Glitching

Started by
11 comments, last by Maega 19 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I just recently reformatted and reinstalled windows. Ever since then, my ATI 9600SE has been acting goofy. Every once in a while, it just flicks the screen on/off a few times then shows a message saying that the VPU recovery had restarted my graphics acceleratr because it had stopped responding to the graphics driver. This has just started happening after I reinstalled windows. Never happened before. The only thing I can think of is that it is getting too hot in my comp because I have the case open and no air is moving around it somehow... maybe with it closed, the fans end up indirectly pushing air by it... I dunno. I tried under clocking it with ATITools, but it just messed up the picture so I wont be doing that anymore. Any ideas short of buying a new card? Thanks Dwiel
Advertisement
Does the glitching happen only when playing games, or when you're doing non-graphics stuff as well?
I havnt played a game yet (with the new install of windows that is) And actually, come to think of it, I've been too busy to even install OGL/DX, might that have something to do with it?

I'm simply running dual monitor, nothing fancy

Dwiel
Huh.... I suppose it could be heat, but unless you have a toaster oven in your case, it seems unlikely. Do you have the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI website installed?
Yeah, I installed the newest drivers, and and even tried some older ones thinking that maybe there was something wrong with the new ones.

It just now, locked up the comp, had to reboot, and so I put a spare fan pointing to it because the heat sink was too hot to hold my hand on for more than a few seconds. I have no clue what actual temp is at though.

Any more ideas?

I also just turned off acceleration through the driver settings so we'll see if that helps. I really dont mind currently, as Im way to wrapped up in other thing to use it for gaming...

Dwiel
I suppose it's worth making sure that air circulation in your case isn't teh sux. The most foolproof method is to ensure that fans at the front and bottom of your case blow IN, and fans at the back and top of your case blow OUT. (If you have a wacky power supply fan that blows in, reverse that.)

Also, if concurrently with reinstalling you messed with anything in your case, try reseating the card.
I guess part of the problem might be that I only have a fan on the PSU and on the CPU. That is it. I also only have a 950mhz athlon, so it doesnt generate much heat.

The only thing, is that I have had this comp for at least 2 years, never with any heating problems. I also bought the vid card atleast 6 months ago, and it never had any problems (it might be my fault for going cheap and getting the SE version :()

Thanks for the fast responses!

Dwiel
yes it might be a good idea to get a few case fans.
I've propped a spare fan pointing up to the vid card, and it seems to be helping a lot. It might be that I have acceleration turned off though.. not sure which...

I'll just keep trying stuff. Might just have to buy some new computer parts. shucks! ;)

I guess some more fans would probobly help too, though they arent nearly as exciting to buy ;)

EIDT: Damn, just flicked off as I posted this message. Its not even that hot.

Dwiel
Have you installed all the latest drivers for the mainboard? To me, it sounds more like a driver issue than a hardware failure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement