Sign in to follow this  

Unusual rendering artifact

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Clicky Notice the two black lines on the border of the preview box. All four borders utilize the same code, yet the left hand one has a consistent artifact. The box containing the highscores will display a similar artifact if it is not wide enough (it seems to disappear as the width or x-axis of the border increases in size). The border is made out of an edge texture and a corner texture which are rotated to complete the box. The edge texture is set to repeat along the s-axis. Also, this artifact doesn't appear on the computer I program with...only the one I like to double check tests with. Has anyone ever seen such a random, yet consistent artifact, or does anyone know why this is happening? [EDIT] GRRRRR....darn hosting!

I would have never thought to try that, but it seems a little obvious in retrospect. This did fix the two artifacts I was trying to point out earlier, but it also revealed a boatload of similar artifacts in all the borders. Any idea why this might be happening? Shouldn't vertices that use the exact same float values line up side by side? It's now obvious to me that this is a single pixel wide error, but it's incredibly obvious to the end user...presumably if he/she has a high resolution monitor. Any other suggestions?

Much like many of the problems I post here, I found the answer to my own problem after much trial and error. GRRRRRRR (j/k [wink])

Anyway, I was able to fix this annoying problem by resampling the images and setting the min and max filters to GL_NEAREST. Hopefully this won't break in fullscreen mode *crosses fingers*. This would have gone a lot quicker if my testing computer weren't across the street and didn't have issues reading half of my floppy disks. Does anyone else have a similarly frustrating test environment?

i had something similar this morning
try this

only works when each image has its own seperate texture (ie youre not packing many imagesinto a larger texture)
use GL_LINEAR but
instead of repeat use clamp_to_edge.

unfortunatly in my case i need to do the packing :(

Quote:
Original post by zedzeek
i had something similar this morning
try this

only works when each image has its own seperate texture (ie youre not packing many imagesinto a larger texture)
use GL_LINEAR but
instead of repeat use clamp_to_edge.

unfortunatly in my case i need to do the packing :(

That's the one thing that has made me iffy on packing lots of little textures together: border artifacts. With fonts it's not such a big deal since all you need to do is respect the width of each character in the texture and vertex mapping to prevent most artifacts. Of course the best way to avoid this is to not have to stretch your textures in the first place (make them the right size for your resolution). However, this isn't always possible. An alternative might be to build in a small border to your tiled images (sacrificing a little quality to get...quality[lol]).

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.