Sign in to follow this  

iterators to a list of class pointers ...

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

for some reason i cannot figure this out, i could just use a vector but this is driving me crazy (i'm probably missing something stupid again ... i googled but only found stuff on sorting a list of pointers) anyways ... for example ... std::vector < myClass * > v; for (int n = 0; n < v.size (); n ++) { v[n] -> memberFunction_01; v[n] -> memberFunction_02; } now this is where i'm stuck ... since lists are liner i can't use [] ... so how the heck do you do this? im stumped on the syntax ... std::list < myClass * > l; std::list < myClass * > :: iterator i = l.begin (); while (i != l.end ()) { i -> ... well then ... } well i guess i could overload [] operator to make my list like a vector ... can you do this? or doing something like this just reserved for vectors? thanks for any help

augh, sorry I misread that, ignore that post..
unless you overload the operators if you want to index into a specific one, that'll be the only way (it'll still have to traverse down the nodes though). Vectors are fine, just use .reserve() to avoid having the data relocate itself.

yeah i wasn't sure you could index an iterator to a list, but it looked like it was right ... so basically there is no solution haha ... so it looks like i have to use a vector to do this ... which brings me to conclude why use a list when you can use a vector?

if i read your original post right, you are looking for this:

std::list<Whatever*> things;
for (std::list<Whatever*>::iterator iter = things.begin(); iter != things.end(); iter++) {
(*iter)->MemberFunction();
}

You cannot index into the list. Arrays and vectors work off the fact that the memory in those arrays or vectors are all in one block. A std::list is a linked list whereas a vector is more like an array.

Vectors suffer from the fact that they must keep that memory in order. A linked list does not care. So every time you add to or erase a vector element from the middle of the vector, everything after that element has to get shuffled back or forward to keep everything contiguous. A list would simply have to relink.

Use a vector if insertion or deletion in the beginning or middle is not required much but retrieval speed is needed. Use a list if retrieval speed is not a big deal but you do a lot of insertion and deletion from everywhere in the list.

Example: my game has a list of objects in the game that need per-frame updating. I use a std::list for that since when i iterate over them, i do so in order every frame and i never need random access to the elements, and also because i add and remove things from the list constantly. I would not dare use a vector for that, especially as there might be thousands of things in the list.

ok that makes sense, this is exactly what im applying this to, i have a large list of refrences to differnt objects all of same base class, since i will have to insert and delete objects from that list, using a list would be much better ...

(*iter)->someFunc ();

so does the iterator type overload unary * to defrence itself? is this what is happening?

Quote:
Original post by ekrax
so does the iterator type overload unary * to defrence itself? is this what is happening?

For list yes the iterator type for list overloads the dereference operator, all user-defined iterators are written to act like a pointers so not only can use library containers with algorithms that take iterators you can also use pointers to arrays aswell, this is static polymoprhism through templates example:

#include <iterator>
#include <algorithm>
#include <iostream>

int main() {

int A[] = { 1, 4, 2, 8, 5, 7 };
const int N = sizeof(A) / sizeof(int);
std::sort(A, A + N);
std::copy(A, A + N, std::ostream_iterator<int>(std::cout, ", "));

return 0;
}

Quote:
Original post by ekrax

Yes, basically. It derefernces the iterator, not the pointer it iterates to. Keep in mind that it may not even be a pointer that you are containing in the list.

(*iter)->Function();

// call the function of a pointer held by the iterator

iter->Function();

// call the function of the iterator

Or in other words:

std::list<myClass *> l;

// push something into the list, then...

std::list<myClass *>::iterator it=l.begin ();

myClass *ptr = *it;
myClass &ref = **it;

ptr->memFunc ();
ref.memFunc ();

Quote:
Original post by leiavoia

iter->Function();

That's not true. iter->Function calls "Function" on the contained type. For instance, if you had a list<myClass>::iterator, iter->Function () calls myClass::Function.

Iterators actually do have functions, and you call them with the . operator. For instance, std::reverse_iterator has a member function "base" which returns a forward iterator sort-of from the current position (it's very complicated), but you call it as follows:

list<myClass*>::reverse_iterator rIt = l.rbegin ();
// .. do some stuff..
(*rIt)->Function (); // call a myClass function
list<myClass*>::iterator it;
it = rIt.base (); // returns a bidirectional iterator one before wher rIt was pointing

Now, I suggest never converting from reverse to forward iterators if you can ever help it, but this is how you call a function of an iterator.

Quote:
Original post by Stoffel
Quote:

iter->Function();

That's not true. iter->Function calls "Function" on the contained type. For instance, if you had a list<myClass>::iterator, iter->Function () calls myClass::Function.

Iterators actually do have functions, and you call them with the . operator. For instance, std::reverse_iterator has a member function "base" which returns a forward iterator sort-of from the current position (it's very complicated), but you call it as follows:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
Now, I suggest never converting from reverse to forward iterators if you can ever help it, but this is how you call a function of an iterator.

mostly true, but it gets weirder, consider this:

std::map< std::string, std::string >::iterator iter = some_map.begin();
std::string a_string = iter->second; // note syntax

Hi,

Quote:
mostly true, but it gets weirder, consider this:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Well, it's really not so weird if you think about it. [smile] I mean, what is the map really? You can think of it as being equivalent to a list of pairs:

std::map<key_type, value_type> === std::vector< std::pair<key_type, value_type> >

Now, if you have an iterator for that map, then what are you really iterating over? That's right, the pairs. So, when you say:

value_type v = iter->second

That is really equivalent to saying:

value_type v = (*iter).second;

Then that makes sense, because what is *iter? It's just a pair. [smile]

Of course, if you wanted to implement your own map as a list of pair pointers, then you could do:

typedef mymap std::vector< std::pair<key_type, value_type>* >;

And then when you iterate over the map, to reference the value, you'd have to do:

value_type v = (*iter)->second;

Talk about weird. [wink]

Vovan

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.