iterators to a list of class pointers ...

Started by
12 comments, last by vovansim 19 years, 8 months ago
for some reason i cannot figure this out, i could just use a vector but this is driving me crazy (i'm probably missing something stupid again ... i googled but only found stuff on sorting a list of pointers) anyways ... for example ... std::vector < myClass * > v; for (int n = 0; n < v.size (); n ++) { v[n] -> memberFunction_01; v[n] -> memberFunction_02; } now this is where i'm stuck ... since lists are liner i can't use [] ... so how the heck do you do this? im stumped on the syntax ... std::list < myClass * > l; std::list < myClass * > :: iterator i = l.begin (); while (i != l.end ()) { i -> ... well then ... } well i guess i could overload [] operator to make my list like a vector ... can you do this? or doing something like this just reserved for vectors? thanks for any help
Advertisement
you have to dereference it like this

(*v[n])->memberFunction_01
that works for an iterator?
ok so then instead of using a while loop i just use a for loop ... thanks
augh, sorry I misread that, ignore that post..
unless you overload the operators if you want to index into a specific one, that'll be the only way (it'll still have to traverse down the nodes though). Vectors are fine, just use .reserve() to avoid having the data relocate itself.
yeah i wasn't sure you could index an iterator to a list, but it looked like it was right ... so basically there is no solution haha ... so it looks like i have to use a vector to do this ... which brings me to conclude why use a list when you can use a vector?
if i read your original post right, you are looking for this:

std::list<Whatever*> things;for (std::list<Whatever*>::iterator iter = things.begin(); iter != things.end(); iter++) {   (*iter)->MemberFunction();   }

You cannot index into the list. Arrays and vectors work off the fact that the memory in those arrays or vectors are all in one block. A std::list is a linked list whereas a vector is more like an array.

Vectors suffer from the fact that they must keep that memory in order. A linked list does not care. So every time you add to or erase a vector element from the middle of the vector, everything after that element has to get shuffled back or forward to keep everything contiguous. A list would simply have to relink.

Use a vector if insertion or deletion in the beginning or middle is not required much but retrieval speed is needed. Use a list if retrieval speed is not a big deal but you do a lot of insertion and deletion from everywhere in the list.

Example: my game has a list of objects in the game that need per-frame updating. I use a std::list for that since when i iterate over them, i do so in order every frame and i never need random access to the elements, and also because i add and remove things from the list constantly. I would not dare use a vector for that, especially as there might be thousands of things in the list.
ok that makes sense, this is exactly what im applying this to, i have a large list of refrences to differnt objects all of same base class, since i will have to insert and delete objects from that list, using a list would be much better ...

(*iter)->someFunc ();

so does the iterator type overload unary * to defrence itself? is this what is happening?
Quote:Original post by ekrax
so does the iterator type overload unary * to defrence itself? is this what is happening?

For list yes the iterator type for list overloads the dereference operator, all user-defined iterators are written to act like a pointers so not only can use library containers with algorithms that take iterators you can also use pointers to arrays aswell, this is static polymoprhism through templates example:

#include <iterator>#include <algorithm>#include <iostream>int main() {  int A[] = { 1, 4, 2, 8, 5, 7 };  const int N = sizeof(A) / sizeof(int);  std::sort(A, A + N);  std::copy(A, A + N, std::ostream_iterator<int>(std::cout, ", "));   return 0;}
Quote:Original post by ekrax

Yes, basically. It derefernces the iterator, not the pointer it iterates to. Keep in mind that it may not even be a pointer that you are containing in the list.

(*iter)->Function();

// call the function of a pointer held by the iterator

iter->Function();

// call the function of the iterator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement