Sign in to follow this  

Access Other Phone Features

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way on acessing some phone features outside of application? like accessing the inbox of your phone or the stored ringtone,pictures or movies or accessing the phones phonebook im using j2me right now thanks

MIDP 1 and the CLDC 1 will not allow you acces anything one phone outside the KVM (The virtual machine the MIDlets are running in) but the phone vendors such as NOkia and Siemens etc provide their own sets of APIs to do this! So you will not be able to write a MIDlet suitable for all phones but you should be albe to develop a MIDlet that can do this for most manufactures!

The is a way that you can load the appropriate manufactures API from a MIDlet depending on what phone the MIDlet gets installed on.. but it is very tricky.. a little beyond me at the moment.. as you need to compile with all the API's together into one MIDlet.. catch exceptions.. etc etc..

Maybe somebody has done this and can make a tutorial ;)

Brian

Quote:

The is a way that you can load the appropriate manufactures API from a MIDlet depending on what phone the MIDlet gets installed on.. but it is very tricky.. a little beyond me at the moment.. as you need to compile with all the API's together into one MIDlet.. catch exceptions.. etc etc..

Loading all the API's isn't exactly the best thing to do. Remember we are developing for Mobile devices, which means small, small, small amounts memory to work with.
Thus, the only way to do this is to code a seperate version for each target device/platform.

HINT: Find a java preprocessor (its worth it!).

Average size for a non-game application tends to be about 12kb for me! Including the extra APIs really is not too much of an overhead when you look at the upside... one MIDlet that runs almost everywhere.

But its complicated and for that reason different versions for every brand of phone.

Brian

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.