extracting bone information from 3ds

Started by
2 comments, last by Nemesis2k2 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello, what is the best way to extract bone infomation from 3ds. I assume a plugin is required as the .3ds format does not store information about bones (at least, i don't think it does). Is there a good plugin that exports an easy to parse format that contains mesh/texture and bone info?? Cheers Muncher
Advertisement
This is something I've been looking into as well. I've been wanting to get deep into shader programming so I've resorted to writing my own 3dsmax plugin so it can be as flexible as I'd like.

So far my plugin can load in normal, diffuse color, specular color, and UV coordinates.

I plan on getting it to also export vertex normals and bone hierachies.

My exporter also supports multiple textures on a mesh and can bundle the texture data within the 3d file if desiered (can make loading objects really easy).

Anyways, when I'm finished I plan to freesource the format so anyone can use the plugin, personally or commercially with no strings attached whatsoever.

Not sure how long it'll take me to finish though =/
for this situation i'd reccomend using Max Script, the DLL
plugin scheme while it offers good options is really not
any use from Max 4.0+ (IMHO)

MaxScript will work on pretty much all releases w/o recompilation, and offers alot more flexibility because
it isnt dependant on what the SDK exposes, rather it has acces
to everything MAX does.

i will post some information an aquaintence passed on to me
on how to implement some basic sample Max Scripts.

Cheers,
Dan
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
I'm writing my exporter through the SDK. The thought of writing a full fledged exporter in maxscript makes me cringe. I'm using a chunk file format, so I'd much prefer to make an OO exporter in C++ that's logical and easy to extend. I've written an importer for a chunk file format in maxscript before, and I didn't like it that much.

Anyway, I'll be getting to bones soon enough myself, so we'll see how it goes. I believe it's possible to get the relevant information out of physique through the SDK. The basic geometry and material properties can be extracted easily enough once you know what you're doing, but the interface is quite tortured and inconsistent, and there's an annoying lack of good documentation. You kinda have to just figure it out yourself, either through trial and error or reverse-engineering someone else's work. I expect getting the bones out to be the same kind of ordeal, but it'll be simple enough once you figure out how to do it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement