Trouble With Syntax: Function Pointers

Started by
2 comments, last by CGameProgrammer 19 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I was wondering the correct syntax for instancating, passing and using a function pointer that is passed no arguments and returns a pointer. Something to the effect of: void DoSomething( char *(*pfFoo)() ){ char *(*)() pfWidget = pfFoo; char *pCh; pCh = pfWidget(); } Or perhaps using a typedef? I have seen two forms mentioned. typedef char*(*pfFoo)(); pfFoo pfWidget; /*instanceating the typedef*/ typedef pfFoo char*(*)(); pfFoo pfWidget; /*instanceating the typedef*/ Also, I assume the syntax could be that same for a user defined data type. I must apologize for my inability to spell, but i would appreciate any help you are willing to offer. -Boog
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Boog
Hello,

I was wondering the correct syntax for instancating, passing and using a function pointer that is passed no arguments and returns a pointer. Something to the effect of:

void DoSomething( char *(*pfFoo)() ){
char *(*)() pfWidget = pfFoo;
char *pCh;

pCh = pfWidget();
}

Or perhaps using a typedef? I have seen two forms mentioned.

typedef char*(*pfFoo)();
pfFoo pfWidget; /*instanceating the typedef*/

Yeah thats wright, i would use a typedef, saves you from some typing and makes the code look clear:

#include <iostream>typedef const char* const const_char_ptr;typedef const_char_ptr (*pfunc)();void DoSomething(pfunc f) {    std::cout << f() << '\n';}const_char_ptr func1() {   static const_char_ptr f = "HELLO";   return f;}const_char_ptr func2() {   static const_char_ptr f = "GOODBYE";   return f;}int main() {   DoSomething(func1);   DoSomething(func2);   return 0;}

Also, I assume the syntax could be that same for a user defined data type.

If you mean member function/data pointers it's not quite the same they really become offsets that are complete when used with an instance of the type in question so they don't do much on there own, you can't mix the two there not the same e.g.

#include <iostream>struct b {   void do_it1() const { std::cout << "HELLO\n"; }   void do_it2() const { std::cout << "GOODBYE\n"; }};typedef void (b::*PMF)() const;int main() {   PMF f1 = &b::do_it1;   PMF f2 = &b::do_it2;   b test;   //direct calls   test.do_it1();   test.do_it2();   //indirect calls   (test.*f1)();   (test.*f2)();   // or   const b* const test_ptr = &test;   (test_ptr->*f1)();   (test_ptr->*f2)();   return 0;}
Typedefs make the code much easier to read. The syntax for typedef is the same as a declaration except the name of the type is used instead of the name of the variable.
In the case of a function pointer, (*pfFoo) replaces the name of the function, where pfFoo is the name of the variable (in a declaration) or the type (in a typedef).
typedef char*(*pfFoo)();
This is a pointer to a function with no parameters that returns a char pointer.
typedef pfFoo char*(*)();

This won't compile.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
If you have a function:
char Func ( int, float );

You can create a pointer to it like this:
char (*Ptr) (int,float);Ptr = Func;C = Ptr(A, B); // this calls Func(A,B)

Or, using a typedef, you can do like you said:
typedef char (*FuncPtr) (int,float);FuncPtr Ptr = Func;C = Ptr(A, B);

To use a pointer to a function that's a method of class TestClass, you do this:
typedef char (TestClass::*TestFuncPtr) (int, float);

Unfortunately I can't remember the code for calling this function. It's pretty ugly-looking, so I wrote a macro for it, but I'd done it a long time ago and can't find that file at the moment.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement