Linux as a games development platform

Started by
27 comments, last by Shannon Barber 19 years, 7 months ago
You know what I would really respect? if a respected game company (like ID, although I doubt they will ever do this) came out with a Linux version first, then a windows version three weeks later. It's a shitty marketing plan (and that's just being nice), but I would really like to see the reaction of Windows users when they find out (WTF OMFG It doesn't wurk on me comp!) Then people will start making ENIW (Linux emulator for windows) and....
I'm beginning to rant here...[grin]

Ciph
I eat heart attacks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by malune
To the AP : It would take me as much time to code a win32 app as it would to code an Xlib app because of understanding the underlying theory... so i think you missed my point.

And you missed my point. As an employer I want someone who understands both the theory and the quirks of the environment. If all I wanted was theory, I'd only hire guys with no experience.

Understanding the theory is the bare minimum. I assume all of my employees can do this. Learning the quirks can take many months.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by malune
To the AP : It would take me as much time to code a win32 app as it would to code an Xlib app because of understanding the underlying theory... so i think you missed my point.

And you missed my point. As an employer I want someone who understands both the theory and the quirks of the environment. If all I wanted was theory, I'd only hire guys with no experience.

Understanding the theory is the bare minimum. I assume all of my employees can do this. Learning the quirks can take many months.

You missed my point again, learning the quirks is an initial requirement. It shouldn't take you many months so long as you understand the theory. There's no reason why you shouldn't excel in both because of this.
If I where you I would save up some money for windows home because you dont need professional version and then just dual boot and learn both OS`s and their apis.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
If I where you I would save up some money for windows home because you dont need professional version and then just dual boot and learn both OS`s and their apis.

Or just use a single api for both platforms WxWidgets.
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Or just use a single api for both platforms WxWidgets.

Hmmh, the url: http://wxwidgets.org/

You missed my point again, learning the quirks is an initial requirement. It shouldn't take you many months so long as you understand the theory...

You must be kidding, it does take a long time to learn quirks.
wxWidgets looks nice, i'm going to start learning it's quirks ;)
It would depend upon whether the studio you hired on with used Linux/Unix, and whether or not you had the skills they needed.

Doom3, Savage, Unreal Tournament and NWN are the big names that are supported in Linux, but there are a lot more coming. How do those games get to Linux if not for programmers who know linux?

There are also a good number of smaller independent developers doing games for linux and other platforms. Working on the next "AAA" sequel (Or movie sales booster) isn't everyone's dream.

It's also worth noting that game development isn't the only place where those skills might come in handy. The company that made Shrek used an in house linux cluster for rendering, and their own software developed by their programmers. I've seen a number of job postings for different animation companies looking for linux people.

-- Aaron
You can tell your friend that you have an advantage over him since if you do end up in the game biz your linux knowledge will be icing on the cake sort of speak.
If he looked at any recent companies hiring he'd see that linux knowledge experience is showing up more an more everyday!
Plus if you ever decide to switch to my favorite platform macos you'll feel right at home.
p.s. besides sony wouldn't put out their linux ps2 kit for nothing.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement