how big is a 100 hours project?

Started by
19 comments, last by WilyCoder 19 years, 7 months ago
We're supposed to do this big project in school this year. At least 100 hours of work. Since programming is one of the things you can do, I want to do just that. But I'd like to know how big a project would have to be to fill up 100 hours. Or perhaps more importantly, how big a project can I sqeeze into 100 - 200 hours? I guess you'll need to know how good/bad I am... I've been a hobby programmer for about a year and half now, and I've just successfully completed a Direct3D9 wrapper for 2D-graphics. This is about the best I can do without having to follow tutorials by the letter.
Advertisement
well u should be able to make doom 4 with time to spare for some relaxation!
Well, imagine you work full time (on average 8 hours per day - yes ingnoring overtime... ;), 100 hours is only 12.5 working days, not even a fornight.

Simple Pong and Breakout clones can take that long, depending on your skill, maybe something like a simple Mario clone if your more talented than that.

It all depends on how good you are and what you think you can do, and who you will be working with. Do you have artists to help, or would that eat into your time?

Hope that helps
Spree
Build a game or whatever from the ground up. Start with a good open base design and keep adding features, whis way you don't have to worry that much about the deadline.

Lets say you make a 3d engine and a game with it.

You start with a simple map format load that and draw it on the screen letting the player fly through the map with flymode. Lets say that would take 25 hours (maybe more or less).
Then you add lighting, another 10 hours to do it nice.
Then collision detection so you can let the player walk around.
Then a little monster with very basic AI (like hey a wall, lets turn into the opposite direction with a slight offset).
Then sound.
And then some optional features (like bumpmapping or shadows).

If you keep the base simple (like maps consisting of tiles which contain either floor or wall and monsters represented by a block) it shouldn't be that hard.

I don't know how much experience you have in 3d so this might be impossible for you (or not if you learn quick).
What is your project evaluated for in the end? You say "programming", does it imply that you will only be accessed on the programming part. If so, you could ignore any art stuff but rudimentary graphics pretty much (enough to show off the graphics techniques you've implemented if the project is graphical).

Remember there is programming beyond graphics that can also be pretty interesting. ^^ One of the projects I recently did myself was a save game converter which converts save files of the game Europa Universalis 2, into the similar game Victoria which starts where EU2 ends. Needless to say this has been a pretty interesting and completely non-graphical experience; I had to write a file loader for the generic data format these games used.
Unwise Owl

I can choose if I want an entire product, graphics and all, to be part of the project, or I can keep to the programming only. O' course, I'll need *some* kind of graphics, but if I keep to the programming only, I can just do it in paint.

EDIT: Same goes for sound as well.
A nice job on break-out will get you a better grade and straining to finish mario.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Back in my time that project was only 20 hours. I did a calculator app in C, using windows API.

Don't forget that you need to take into account the time required to write the report as well!
Keep in mind that other thread: if you are getting evaluated by a non-programmer (you did not mention what kind of class it was for), they may not appreciate the work you put into it because they don't know anything about programming and how hard it really is!

"Wow... pong. This took you 100 hours? I was expecting more for some reason"
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
Keep in mind that other thread: if you are getting evaluated by a non-programmer (you did not mention what kind of class it was for), they may not appreciate the work you put into it because they don't know anything about programming and how hard it really is!

"Wow... pong. This took you 100 hours? I was expecting more for some reason"

Showing the source code will solve that problem. [grin]
<emph>Once you understand that it's foolish to perform silly rituals to tip the scales of fate in your favor, and once you understand how things work, what are you left with? An extremely focused and determined individual... With a hereditary sickness of the mind.</emph> -Anonymous, discussing OCD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement