[ANN] Squirrel 1.0 release candidate 1(RC1) is out

Started by
16 comments, last by JD 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi all I've just released a new version of Squirrel(release candidate 1). changes log: -fixed division by zero(between integers) -the 'in' operator and obj.rawget() do not query the default delegate anymore -added function sq_getprintfunc() -added new standard library 'auxlib'(implements default error handlers) Squirrel is a light weight programming language(6K~ lines) featuring higher-order functions,delegation,tail recursion,generators,cooperative threads(aka coroutines),exception handling, reference counting and garbage collection on demand. C-like syntax. ciao Alberto
-----------------------------The programming language Squirrelhttp://www.squirrel-lang.org
Advertisement
I got a problem. I would like my script to execute print("hello") squirrel built in function but don't know how to do it since the vm is bombing on me most likely because I missed something. I'm having very difficult time to get my head around squirrel. This is my C code:

#include "stdafx.h"#include <squirrel.h>#include <sqstdio.h>#include <cassert>#include <cstdio>SQInteger file_lexfeedASCII(SQUserPointer file){	char c;		if(fread(&c, sizeof(c), 1, (FILE*)file) > 0)		return c;	return 0;}int compile_file(HSQUIRRELVM v, const char *filename){	FILE *file = fopen(filename, "rb");		if(file)	{		sq_compile(v, file_lexfeedASCII, file, filename, 1);		fclose(file);		return 1;	}	return 0;}int main(int argc, char* argv[]){	HSQUIRRELVM v;	v = sq_open(1024); // creates a VM with initial stack size 1024		// do some stuff with squirrel here	if(!compile_file(v, "script.txt"))		assert(0);	if(SQ_FAILED(sq_call(v, 1, 0)))		assert(0);//<-- bombs right here			sq_close(v);		return 0;}

Oh, I also found a bug in docs. In the section where it talks about embedding squirrel the FILE *f should be renamed to FILE *file like I have above. Also, I took out ret variable from the file_lexfeedASCII(), it doesn't need to be there. Probably was a straight copy from the squirrel lib source code.

Can also someone explain to me how this whole squirrel system works? The docs are really terse. I would also like to see C code examples so I wouldn't have much problem testing stuff like the case above. Thanks.
Things I would like to see in future:

- squirrel renamed to squirrelScript or similar for googling
- html crosslinked docs for easier/faster navigation
- dll libs (single, multi, dubug, release) like genesis3d did
- runtime GC flag
- much more info in the docs to lead newcomers like me
- more C example code
- promote some sqstdlib functions to main codebase
- provide zip package for windows users (get ZipCentral)

I should not be required to recompile squirrel when I go from debug to release build of my app. Good work so far :)

PS. Is sourceforge really pissed at MS or something? It bombs my IE6 all the time, spent like hour trying to download the files yesterday. Almost gave up! Can't you host them on free tripod account instead? You get 20megs and several gigs of bandwidth. Just wondering.
Yay! html docs can be scratched out. I found chm docs on your website and like them so far. That's exactly what I was asking for.

Ofcourse, google yield no results, only nuts :) I did a search on gamedev and a post came out while ago discussing some asm technique that would hide the stack. I would love to see this whole scripting thing simplified if possible. Throw in a good IDE with debugger and C++ bindings and we're in heaven :)

Quote:Original post by JD
Things I would like to see in future:

- squirrel renamed to squirrelScript or similar for googling

No way, that would just destroy it! heh

Anyway, keep up the good work fagiano, Ive been following Squirrels development for a few months now and must say I really (REALLY) like it. Its exactly what ive been looking for in a scripting language (so far), though the embedding could be streamlined a small bit (I guess the Squirrelator does that though).

Just thought Id post to say "Way to go, fagiano. Keep it up."
I'm simply trying to call print("hello") from my script file. Here's my code so far and I added a portion to it but still not quite understand it all. I'm looking at lua docs but they're a bit different in this respect. Hopefully someone can butt in and give me some heads up. Oh forgot, the code now works, no errors. However "hello" string doesn't show up in the console. Strange. God I hate this stack thing - just frustrated, ignore me :)

#include "stdafx.h"#include <squirrel.h>#include <sqstdio.h>#include <cassert>#include <cstdio>SQInteger file_lexfeedASCII(SQUserPointer file){	char c;		if(fread(&c, sizeof(c), 1, (FILE*)file) > 0)		return c;	return 0;}int compile_file(HSQUIRRELVM v, const char *filename){	FILE *file = fopen(filename, "rb");		if(file)	{		sq_compile(v, file_lexfeedASCII, file, filename, 1);		fclose(file);		return 1;	}	return 0;}int main(int argc, char* argv[]){	HSQUIRRELVM v;	v = sq_open(1024); // creates a VM with initial stack size 1024		// do some stuff with squirrel here	if(!compile_file(v, "script.txt"))		assert(0);		sq_pushroottable(v);	sq_pushstring(v, "print", -1);	sq_get(v, -2); //get the function from the root table	sq_pushroottable(v); //’this’ (function environment object)	sq_pushstring(v, "hello", -1);	if(SQ_FAILED(sq_call(v, 2, 0)))		assert(0);	sq_pop(v,2); //pops the roottable and the function			sq_close(v);		return 0;}
by default squirrel does have a print function in the vm, you got to give him one at initialization time, so you can ridirect your output where ever you want(in the game console for instance).
this is another thing that should be more clear in the doc.

search for sq_setprintfunc() in the doc :)

ciao
Alberto
-----------------------------The programming language Squirrelhttp://www.squirrel-lang.org
Ok, I have added this to my C code:

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
HSQUIRRELVM v;
v = sq_open(1024); // creates a VM with initial stack size 1024

sq_setprintfunc(v, printfunc);// added
//blah......
}

then defined my printfunc like so:

void printfunc(HSQUIRRELVM v, const SQChar *s, ...)
{

}

not sure what I should write inside it though. It looks like a variable argument function in which case *s will give me number of arguments. Is each argument a character? Because if I simply do this: printf("%s", s); I get %s as output instead of hello string. Should I instead be doing something with the v? Confused as always:) Thanks for replying to my post, much appreciated.
take a look at sq.c

#include <stdarg.h>void printfunc(HSQUIRRELVM v,const SQChar *s,...){	va_list vl;	va_start(vl, s);	scvprintf( s, vl);	va_end(vl);}
Ok it works now. Yay! I use vprintf() now. Thanks a lot :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement