Game Ideas

Started by
9 comments, last by Cangor 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys, I was wondering what your ways of coming up with stories for games were. A few could be... 1. Sitting down and writing from nothing... 2. Dreams - (These are gold mines except I don't dream a lot) ;) 3. Ideas you see in everyday life or think about in the day. 4. ??? Also feel free to post paragraphs of your stories which you think are excellent here. Be creative. That's what it's all about... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Cangor Blue Blaze Games, LLC. BlueBlazeGames@hotmail.com No website as of yet. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Advertisement
adaptation to some game you play, but think miss too many feature.
-----------------------Happiness in slavery !-----------------------
For me...

Quote:Original post by Cangor
1. Sitting down and writing from nothing...

This is rather uneffective. If I get a small base idea, I like to jot down that main idea and every worth-while possibilty for it.

Quote:
2. Dreams - (These are gold mines except I don't dream a lot) ;)

My dreams rarely yield anything I could use for a game. It's all based around me, and I wouldn't make that great of a video game character.

Quote:
3. Ideas you see in everyday life or think about in the day.

I think this goes along with my response to number one.

If you ask me, the best way to get a good idea is to read a book, read a comic, watch a little television, rent a good movie... Stuff like that.
I think daydreams probably make better game ideas than literal dreams. Because games are kind of like taking on a fantasy identity, playing make-believe for a while, in other words escapism.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I just walk, and let my mind wander. Some say it's a kind of meditation. I say it works.
for me, the ideas for storylines and such just happen throughout the day. I might get into a funny situation or see someone do something. Sometimes i get ideas from reading labels. They are just ever flowing and you have to listen to them and elaborate.
The only game that I ever thought of making came to me through studying literature. I have a few books that describe a certain system that seems to have no obvious connection to computers or technology in general. But, I thought that the system was worth understanding and teaching, so it came to me that a computer game would be an excellent medium for exposing people to the ideas of the system. I never got very far with it, though. There are artistic and engineering problems that I can't solve.

C.
I agree with walking around, looking around the room or just playing a game.But I tend to go with ideas and suggestions about something or someone. For an example,everyday experiences,working at a job site.These ideas happened to me more then a few times.Or by talking to people at arcade places, game stores,friends and family.
BullDogRacing27
Of course, everybody has something different which works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cangor
Blue Blaze Games, LLC.
BlueBlazeGames@hotmail.com
No website as of yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Think about an emotional experience, be it the climax of a story, an inspiring movement of shapes and images, or a funny way that a character acts. Expand on it, or figure out what would be good to lead up to it, what it could lead to, or be an effective part of.

There is a base upon which good stories are made, and where others seem to have their components out of place. Mastering that is hard, especially with the many poor examples we've had lately.

There are stories that are just regular churn-out fodder, some inspiring fables, and some masterpieces. There haven't been a lot of masterpieces recently, but I know it hasn't all been written yet.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement