Skill levels

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
I agree that there ought to be some sort of rating system so that people have some idea who they are working with. If you do not want to take on the extra work of making such a system, there are people like me who would be happy to.

------------------
http://mazurek.dhs.org/3d/

Advertisement
Maybe it could be included in the member's profile, what languages they progam in, programs they use, skill areas, level of expertise. And make it so that you have to be a member to start a topic, but not to post an answer. People, self, or staff could then rate the person?

------------------

Lack

Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
GameDev actually does have a good substance-to-fluff ratio.

But how do you rate substance, fluff and the myriad types of material between those? If you can do that accurately, you'll be much sought-after by Human Resources and Hiring Managers the world over.

And if you allow people to list their own credits you'll understand why hiring people based on their resumes alone is about as likely to pay off as the Powerball Lottery.

It's not a simple thing to rate people. And it's not something that can be done "for you." Your project has unique needs and it's up to you to find the right people. No one else can do it for you...at least, not without a healthy fee...

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

I have to agree with DavidRM. How can we possibly rate everyone on this board accurately? I don't think anyone would voluntarily list themselves as a dreamer. But, I think that if someone is interested in joining a team that advertises in the Help Wanted section, they should be able to tell after a few conversations whether or not there is any substance to the project. If there are people intentionally being deceptive, and we find out about it, we can certainly blacklist them, but I'm not sure if anything beyond that would really be effective.
Hi,
I've noticed a big problem with this site.
There are too many people who don't
actually have any skills spamming up the
Help Wanted Board. I was wondering if there
could be a way of dividing up the member
posts according to skill level. If you
could have a system where members send in
their work and it is divided in to three
catagories:

Dreamer: has done nothing and has no skills.
UpAndComing: has done something and has some skills.
Developer: has skills and is serious about independent game development.

Otherwise this site will never be a place
that spawns independent game development.

I for one would be willing to pay for such a service. If I was paid to do it I would be
glad to do it!

Dave.

david_moffatt@hotmail.com

There are ways of rating people, but they would really make for a lot of work for anyone running the board:
Make it so that there is another type of user, and have someone need to send in the code for a tetris, or breakout clones code, that they wrote. This would have to be compared to a few common easy to download codes off the net, and then looked at by someone to evaluate. After this it could allow for a Symbol to be placed befor there name to show that they know at least how to program. HUGELY time consuming unluckly.

A more realistic way is just to if you want to be taken seriously have a link to your webpage with some examples of your work, and maybe a project you've worked on if you were on a team that did succeed(can be verified in credits of project).

------------------
DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu

DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement