Sign in to follow this  

Displacement Mapping in OGL via C++?

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone around here knowing how Displacement Mapping in OpenGL via C++ works? I've 2 years experience on C++ programming and only want to learn something new to implement into my current GD project.

Real displacement mapping (like in actualy moving vertices & changing frgmet depth) or fake one via parallax mapping? For the real one, you'll need GF-6800 to work as it should. I could be hacked on GF-FX but performece is usualy not accepatbile. But parallax mapping on the other hand is very simple to implement, has lower HW requirements and is not all that costly.

unless i'm going crazy real displacement mapping requires a texture read in a vertex program, something which can only be done on a NV40 based card (GF6800) (and maybe a 3DLabs £2.4billion job [grin]) as no other card allows you to make a texture read in the vertex programs.

öhm ... then please just tell me how that parallex fake works ^^. It's no problem, because I only want it to look like DM ^^.

[Edited by - Hammerit on August 28, 2004 3:11:56 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
http://www.infiscape.com/rd.html

is a pdf about parallax mapping, also it's been implemented in a shader for Doom3 and looks quite pretty :)

Here's a picture of my implementation on parallax mapping just to give you an idea on how it looks. That wall is 2 triangles :).

http://ready4dis.8m.com/ScreenShot_081504.jpg

hey man that looks exactly like in Doom 3 ^^. Thats what I want to implement for my spacecraft to look better ^^.

Öhm ...

I have another question, how to define a function, which can modify and create C++ Classes?

I want top use that function to read Data out of INI Files. searched the web a few times, but never found anything which suited my wishes only a bit.

Quote:
Original post by L0rdDiabl0
Any resources on Real Displacement Mapping, i have 6800 card and might try it

No resources needed, really. In the vertexshader, do a read into a heightmap, and translate the vertex into the direction of the normal, the distance you got from the heightmap.

nVIDIA released a week ago a very good paper on Vertex Texture implementation for both DirectX and OpenGL, you can find it here http://developer.nvidia.com/object/using_vertex_textures.html

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.