Sign in to follow this  

intresting writing opportunity

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Helpwanted Ad This guy is starting a game design project. He wants about 3 writers to work cooperatively to create a story for a single-player RPG. And he apparently has money. I like group writing projects, so I'd be interested to do this if I could find some good teammates. Anyone else think this looks interesting? What would you want the story to be about? Here's what I would want: - Multiple endings, at least one of which is tragedy-free HEA - not noir or horror - some romance in there somewhere - no environmentalism or revenge obsessions, those are so overused - world should not be earth - a 'time loop' framing device to explain why the game+ feature exists (game+ is, at the end of the game, you get the option to replay the game with advntages, explore previously locked areas, and try to earn a better ending.) - the main character has to uncover mysteries of worldbuilding to gain access to better abilities and advance the plot - something about compulsion, such as the main character being captured and tied up or put in a cage - 6-8 well developed characters including the villain What would you all want to do? Don't be afraid to disagree with me, because maybe three of you will be the most compatible and take the job. [Edit: thought of more things to add to my list] Bad: Huge evil corporations Good: shapeshifters, collective amnesia, dreams and totemic powers, an imaginary friend, humans with anthro traits like wings or anthro humanoid aliens, gender and race/species issues Characters: If we're divvying them up, I'd like to write the minor villain, I have a cool idea for him ^_^ . [Edited by - sunandshadow on August 25, 2004 1:55:34 PM]

What do you mean by not based on Earth? Like do you mean that it has to be an alien planet or just not Earth as it is today or in history? Like could we change certain aspects of Earth like technology etc? Other than that, sounds like an interesting idea.

Actual I have something fairly similar along those lines that I've written a fair bit for already (outline more than anything, and backstories).

Quote:
Original post by Terlenth
What do you mean by not based on Earth? Like do you mean that it has to be an alien planet or just not Earth as it is today or in history? Like could we change certain aspects of Earth like technology etc? Other than that, sounds like an interesting idea.

An alien planet would be ok, a fantasy planet would be cool too, a blend of fantasy and a historcal setting might be interesting aslong as it has some original culture building, but it can't be present day or near-future earth, it can't be set in an actual historical country, and the monsters can't be normal animals. Is that clearer?

Quote:

Actual I have something fairly similar along those lines that I've written a fair bit for already (outline more than anything, and backstories).

Well by all means, share. ;) You can pm me if you don't want to post it publicly.

I don't mind sharing (I've got semi-protection with my Aunt's publishing company =p). Anyways, the story I was thinking of was basically that what would have happened if we weren't the only intelligent life forms to develop on earth originally.

This would be set back when the continents were splitting and such and there would be about 4 continents. Each continent is inhabited by a different species.

There would be the typical human, an insectoid race, a race of underwater dwelling creatures, a race of intelligent carnivorous dinosaurs, and a race of intelligent herbivorous dinosaurs.

Just general descriptions (nothing to far into the inner workings of their society, just the main trait)
The Humans are a fairly neutral race when it comes to everything (like we normally are).

The insectoids are very xenophobic and are always thinking someone is out to get them.

The underwater dwelling race is the race that most people don't really know of.

The carnivorous dinosaurs are a warlike race.

The herbivore dinosaurs are a very peaceful, zen-like race.

Basically what happens is that each of these races are gaining specific technology/magical powers at different rates so each of them have advantages at certain things.

The insectoid race percieves that everyone is going to wipe them out of existance so they have secretly been working on a weapon to destroy everyone who may oppose them. This is discovered by on of the underwater dwelling race who then is required to procede and warn the rest of the world and stop the insectoids from destroying the world.

Edit: This is just some preliminary work that I haven't gone too far in depth on.

Did you happen to read the responses to the original thread? I cant believe the way people are so cut throat on message boards. People love sitting behind their anonymous computer screens, and ripping others apart. The only problem I have, is that it often comes down to the uninspired, uncreative criticism and flaming of ones....grammer...How pathetic is that? If your going to try to bring someone down, please do it on a more personal and creative level then pointing out flaws one's grammer..

As for the project, I would lend a hand where I could if youd have me. Feel free to contact me: nahoopii@hotmail.com

Of interest to me would be dialogue and back stories for the different races, although I think theres already some pre-determined facts about the inhabitants in the world from whats already been written. Id like to see where you are already at, and work from there..Just let me know if this is still of interest to either of you, and if theres room for one more.

I'm up for whatever, I was just putting this forth as a possible idea. Its more up to Sunandshadow as to whether or not he wants to work with that idea or not.

Firstly, I am a she. ;) Secondly cutthroat is normal for the helpwanted forum for some reason, it requires even more moderating than the lounge. Fortunately the writing forum is more civil. :) *pats nice writing forum*

As for the different intelligent races on different continents... Well, I like the idea of different races each with their own philosophy influenced by their biology. I don't think they should be on different continents because there's this principle called unity of location which says that you get more vivid conflict if your characters are stuck in a contained area with each other. An ocean or other continental divide is a huge natural barrier that will discourage interaction between the people living in two places; you will get more conflict between the races if they are all on the same continent, or even in the same city, where they can get at each other. Anyway, this is a bit more detailed than I wanted to get yet - I want to let all the forum members have a chance to toss out their ideas and preferances before I try to combine them into a story. Could you two maybe do like I did, make a list of thinks you would like to see in a game and things you don't want to see in a game? That would be helpful. :)

Perhaps criticism is more common online, but in this case they do have a point.

Whilst I tend to be reasonably forgiving of typos and grammatical errors in ordinary posts, seeing them in "help wanted" ads always makes me take the poster less seriously and/or question his/her common sense.

I'm not saying that game developers, designers etc. need a perfect grasp of English usage, but if they have even a slight weakness in that area it would be wise for them to run any text used in marketting or formal announcements through a spellchecker and/or get someone else to read through it first.

After all, we don't know any more about the person who posted the ad than we do about those that criticised it.

This is even more important if the person aspires to be a writer or programmer.

Firstly, I humbly ask forgiveness for my presumtion Sunandshadow.

Secondly, here's my list (which doesn't overlap with Sunandshadow's):
- I like the comic moments
- some romance in there somewhere (I'm sorry I had to repeat this one because I completely agree =P)
- I've always kind of like the idea of someone gaining too much power that they risk the world (technological or magical[I'm both a scifi geek and a fantasy geek =P])
- I'm not too choosy on planet
- I would kind of like to see a main character that is sort of an anti-hero, in the sense that he/she doesn't seem like your normal hero (big strong, etc. but becomes more powerful some other way)
- As for number of characters I'm not too picky again. I always say though, "The more, the merrier"

Bad: (Can't think of any at the moment)
Good: magic, mystery, (again sorry for repeating, but if I didn't a friend of mine would kill me =P) anthro/human creations
Characters: I'd personally kind of like to share the creation of the characters (two heads are better than one, etc. =P)

I'll wait to see what the original work requestor (cant remember his name) posts in here about what his constraints would be. As for my list, I will mentally make one and compare with what that person had in mind for their project. But really, it wouldnt be far from what you've written already Sun. We agree on the same cliches and the same interests.

Why do big corporations always need to be evil?! Okay, I hate them too in the present day, but that doesn't mean that they HAVE to be evil - especially on planets that aren't earth!

I propse a game involving a really nice, happy, fluffy corporation. That's innovative ;)

I have a game story that has all of these:
Quote:
Here's what I would want:
- Multiple endings, at least one of which is tragedy-free HEA
- not noir or horror
- some romance in there somewhere
- no environmentalism or revenge obsessions, those are so overused
- world should not be earth
- a 'time loop' framing device to explain why the game+ feature exists (game+ is, at the end of the game, you get the option to replay the game with advntages, explore previously locked areas, and try to earn a better ending.)
- the main character has to uncover mysteries of worldbuilding to gain access to better abilities and advance the plot
- something about compulsion, such as the main character being captured and tied up or put in a cage
- 6-8 well developed characters including the villain

The story can be divided into three parts that can be separated.
Quote:
Part One involves collective amnesia, creativity, and imaginary friend. In this part the battle ground is on the fantasy landscape. The fantasy world can be oriental or western or a mix of it, but it is primarily in medieval or feudal periods. The fantasy worlds do not involve normal monsters, but avatars and summons. This part involves race issue, but not gender or species issues. This part involves revenge, but in the form that the main character is preventing a revenge. This part involves the main character and her friend being captured several times by different people.

Part Two involves creativity, imagination. The battle ground is the fantasy landscape, and a complex structure. In this part, the landscape is fragmented, it can involves future and modern periods in addition to the medieval period. Starting from this part, the player will have access (in fact required :/) to replay pervious stages to unlock mysteries and stuffs. This part involves shapeshifters, and one alien race. The ending for this part involves the main character being captured. And another character's escape. This part of the story is the revelation.

Part Three involves dreams. The battle once again takes place in all the landscapes in prior parts. But the player character is changed. This part mainly deals with the resolution.

Romance is central to the story and exists in all three parts. The endings for each part can be happy or tragic. Uncovering mysteries exist more in part one and two, part three has less. There are no monsterish species, and no human with wings, except a winged android.

I've just realized how mixed what i described was. There are two shorten versions, one is a fairy tale about a waterfonutain (a two hour disney movie version) and one about a maid (or a librarian) in a strange, large complex. Both are still dealing with romance.

[Edited by - Estok on August 26, 2004 3:11:59 AM]

Although I don’t think I would be able to get the time to be on your team, I would like to share my ideas.

The game is set on a planet which is inhabited by beings similar to humans, but have little to no conflict. Although they are extremely advanced, almost none of this has gone into space research. As young siblings grow up, their 'status' is based upon how well they can build in the community, and the bigger and better their creations are, the more respect they gain.

At some point though, two waring races clash with this planet. They are the Clones(shape shifters), and the Brotherhood of man(humans). Apparently the Clones tried to leave earth, but were chased down and are slowly being destroyed. Some cities are ruined by falling star-ships, but for the most part they are ok. The main character of the game is in one of these crash sites, and comes across a wounded clone. Although he knows it is wrong, he takes him home and heals him. Once he is healed (and ill skip forward a bit here), he tells of how his ship was targeted because they found a planet that they could live on without the humans knowing. He is the only survivor that knows the location of the planet, and needs to get back with the rest of the ships to let them know about it. He says that back on Earth, the clones were used like robots, where they would be given one task, and that is all they would do until they expire. Luckily, his was engineering.

Now the quirky thing is that essentially the main focus of the game is to slowly build a ship with technology that was never intended for space. It’s a whole new culture that the 2nd main character has to learn, and slowly teach those around him just what space is. As this is going on, the humans are getting more and more nosey with the planet, and if they think they are hostile they wont hesitate to take action(especially if they find out that a clone is there). So there is a lot of responsibility riding on the shoulders of this clone.

Hopefully this sounds ok. I probably shouldn’t of written this at 1:am in the morning… [wink]

Alright well I think I should add something that I think would make a good game.

You want romance well then I have it for you. You want multiple endings well then make your choice cause there are many. One another world sure. You want fantasy no problem or even technological with alien or fantasy creatures or even both. Lots of magic or a fair amount can add that too. Creating a new world or some sort of advancment or colonization well its there.

Picture if you will that you are on one of many worlds. Based in a medieval or chaotic time where none there are no real governments just barbaric tribes and such. You fall in love with a woman and are going to become bound by the rest of your tribe. When an evil villian from a distant world arrives and destroys and conquers most of your home world and many evil villians akin to one who comes to your village and takes many captives from among you. You have the impossible task of find and eventually freeing your true love. You could end up on any one of the many planets or you could have to take control of every one in order to find your true love. Battling wierd creatures not knowing anything at all to begin. Finding magical items and adding to your knowledge an abilities you could even die before you succeed and then you must rely on your heir or one you entrust to finish your quest. To either find the woman you loved or destroy the evil villians who had spread terror throughout your home world and enslaved millions. They migth even return before you have a chance to seek them out in which case you must be prepared for anything. It may take you forever!
And if you want technology instead of magic just substitute magic for technology above :P

This sounds great. I love nothing more then writing. Well, except programming, 3d modeling, any computer-related activity... ...But i do kov to write and some great ideas are coming up here. I'm willing to help, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cangor
Blue Blaze Games, LLC.
BlueBlazeGames@hotmail.com
No website as of yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One thing I think a lot of people here are forgetting is that MelodyMan (the head hancho of the project) will probably want a story that suits his pre-determined expectations seeing as how he's in charge of the entire operation. Meaning, he most likely has an idea of what the story should be about, but just needs writers to flesh it out. This implies that people shouldn't submit to him complete stories and plot-lines they've already mapped out until they know what the game is gonna be based upon.

I haven't spoken with the guy personally, so maybe he's gonna base the game on the best story idea that comes along. What I'm getting at though is that a new story will probably have to be created around the world he plans on building. You know what I mean?

If this isn't the case, then I apologize; please go about posting stories. :)

According to his post the whole story thing is up in the air so we were sort of brain storming. But, I do agree with you in the sense that we should let him have a fairly large say in how the game should be written.

But, if it sort of falls through I would still like to do a writing project in a group, since I've never done so and its always intrigued me. So, if this falls through I would hope that we can still write something.

Quote:
But, if it sort of falls through I would still like to do a writing project in a group, since I've never done so and its always intrigued me. So, if this falls through I would hope that we can still write something.

I would say that since MelodyMan hasn't replied to his own thread, then it has fallen through, but I agree that it would still be nice to create a game story as a group. We would need someone to be the leader though, someone with good secretarial sklls and the free time to use them, and good editorial instincts for combining everyone's suggestions into a thematically coherent whole with unity of location and cast of characters and al thse other principles of good story design. But I can't do it because I don't have time, so somebody else who feels qualified should volunteer. After we had a leader, a god way to start a group project would be for him to make a new thread with a survey asking what everyone was interested in writing, use that data to choose a basis for the story, and move on from there.

I can write, If you are ready to fight my engrish. The best I can offer to you is lots of ideas. If you need one, mail me.

Quote:

This would be set back when the continents were splitting and such and there would be about 4 continents. Each continent is inhabited by a different species.

There would be the typical human, an insectoid race, a race of underwater dwelling creatures, a race of intelligent carnivorous dinosaurs, and a race of intelligent herbivorous dinosaurs.

Just general descriptions (nothing to far into the inner workings of their society, just the main trait)
The Humans are a fairly neutral race when it comes to everything (like we normally are).

The insectoids are very xenophobic and are always thinking someone is out to get them.

The underwater dwelling race is the race that most people don't really know of.

The carnivorous dinosaurs are a warlike race.

The herbivore dinosaurs are a very peaceful, zen-like race.

Basically what happens is that each of these races are gaining specific technology/magical powers at different rates so each of them have advantages at certain things.

The insectoid race percieves that everyone is going to wipe them out of existance so they have secretly been working on a weapon to destroy everyone who may oppose them. This is discovered by on of the underwater dwelling race who then is required to procede and warn the rest of the world and stop the insectoids from destroying the world.

Edit: This is just some preliminary work that I haven't gone too far in depth on.

Lol...sounds like star trek enterprise.

sunandshadow I would be up for a writing project. Would this just be a creative writing project or would it be more of a storyline for a game cause if its for a game theres a certain criteria that should be followed.

I could setup a site for such a project if people are willing. I'm quiet interested. Time issues I can work through.

Quote:
Original post by 5MinuteGaming
sunandshadow I would be up for a writing project. Would this just be a creative writing project or would it be more of a storyline for a game cause if its for a game theres a certain criteria that should be followed.

I could setup a site for such a project if people are willing. I'm quiet interested. Time issues I can work through.

It should be for a game. Perhaps we could get an FF7 script and use that for a template since that seems to be one of everyone's favorite RPGs. You think you have the skills necessary to run this project, then? Why don't you make a draft of the survey to find out what everyone wants to write bout and pm it to me so I can suggest changes/additions?

Accually, I might be interested. I've always been into the idea of epic RPG writing. I think I could handle most aspects of story developement, as well as character tuning, location design, and sub plot development. I definately don't have the time to be leader, or much of the initiative, but I think I can really put some great ideas forth and work well with other people to make a great story.

As for my two cents, I don't think if we wan't something that is "classic origionality", if you don't mind my crazy oxymoron, then figure we shouldn't in any way whatsoever use a plot that has anything to do with taking over, saving, or preventing the domination of the game world. I believe every game has it's unique spirit that brings out a different side of each of us. I would frankly like to design a story that takes place in an epic world, but has more to do with relationship oriented plot. Not necessarily romantic, but dealing with those nice corney little themes in a nice way. A story that moves people, and story about self realization, where gamers will see the words "The End" on screen and do nothing but stare at it for even a moment, and just sigh in the bliss of real accomplishment.

On another note, I think if I were to create a game world from scratch, the first thing I'd look for would be good theme in technological progress of the game. Now, what I was thinking is a world with pretty medievil eliments, swords and daggers, shields and armor, but also with a mechanical twist. There are many possibilities, but mostly in the aspects of weaponry and transportion. Perhaps your usual RPG line-up of weapons, but maybe one character is a rifleman, pistolman, or muskateer. In terms of transportation, maybe air barges and other such craft or warships with cannons, or long rail lines with simple locomotives or rail car systems. A very warm feel in technelogical standpoint. Not to progressive, but no Evils-of-Technology b.s.

And on a final note, you all may be looking at this completely differently. If you hate my idea, fine, and if yours are better, great! I am very flexible, and will work to any ideas and standards.

-TJ

As I said before I am definately interested. I don't really have time to be project leader (going back to University in 4 days).

As for the Star Trek Enterprise thing, I know its very similar to that. Fun part about that is my friend and I came up with that idea about a year before Star Trek Enterprise even came out =P. It was part of the backstory that explained why Earth developed differently than it did for us. Again, a plot thing.

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.