Sign in to follow this  

What is a good IDE for Java?

This topic is 4858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone who has had experience with different IDE's for Java tell me which you'd prefer? Also, explain why you prefer it over the other ones. Thanks, Taylor

Personally I kind of like Ready To Program. It doesn't complain about your code if it is outdated (will complain if it doesn't work though). Its also good when it comes to finding libraries and such. Its good at finding your errors and its got a pretty good colouring scheme for coding. The compiler isn't bad (I prefer Sun's compiler).

There is also Bean (I think that's what its called at least) it's also pretty good (didn't use it all that much though).

Well NetBeans, which you can dowload on Java's home website, is one of my options. But there are others like:

JCreator http://www.jcreator.com/

Textpad http://www.textpad.com

Eclipse http://www.eclipse.org/

How about those? How do these compare with others? Some of them don't have a debugger, but I'd like one with it.

I would also second eclipse. It's simple to setup CVS access directly within eclipse, it has auto-complete / intellisense, and it has a reasonably intuitive interface. I also have quite a few problems with eclipse. It performs rather sluggishly, has a whopping 60meg basic memory footprint and imo eclipse completely copped out of directly integrating various aspects of an IDE such as debugging, repository access, etc.. Instead you have 'perspectives' which provide a unique interface for every different aspect. It's somewhat annoying to be forced to manually swap perspectives. The "perspective" system also comes off feeling like a hack as opposed to an innovation. On the other hand I'm sure that this methodology was chosen largely with ease of extensibility in mind, and appears to have succeeded. In all, I'm not a huge fan of eclipse, but it is one of the best IDEs for Java.

Add my vote for eclipse, it's an extremely great IDE, if it supported C++ as well as it did Java, I doubt I'd do any development in MSVC.

IntelliJ IDEA, definitly. Eclipse is not too bad, but if you can afford the IDEA license (not THAT expensive at 99$, escpecially for students, but not free either), i can only recommend using it. You can find a 30-day trial at http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/index.html

Oh god, i'm sounding like a commercial =(

Guest Anonymous Poster
I say JCreator...easy to set up and use...

I couldnt get Eclipse working, and it was confusing...
have tried others...JCreator is by far the best I have used

but thats is personal opinion of course

Quote:
Add my vote for eclipse, it's an extremely great IDE, if it supported C++ as well as it did Java, I doubt I'd do any development in MSVC.
There's no reason why it can't support C++. Just gotta find someone who can be bothered to write up the correct plugins/editors [grin]

Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:
There's no reason why it can't support C++. Just gotta find someone who can be bothered to write up the correct plugins/editors [grin]

Jack

I'm using Eclipse for my C++ dev [smile] I think, the plugin is called CDT

Oxyd

Quote:
I'm using Eclipse for my C++ dev
I'll definitely look into that then. Any comments? does it compare feature wise to the Java support in eclipse?

As for JCreator - it was my IDE of choice for a long time... but the latest version is slow and buggy from what I've used it for. Crashes and locks up all the time... takes an age to boot up. Might of changed since I last used it (May04), but Eclipse is better anyway so I can't be bothered to find out if it's improved [wink]

Jack

Eclipse CDT is not as nice as the Java tools, mainly because C++ is harder to parse on the fly (due to preprocessor instructions). However, I think it's comparable to Visual Studio.

Quote:
Original post by Matei
Eclipse CDT is not as nice as the Java tools, mainly because C++ is harder to parse on the fly (due to preprocessor instructions). However, I think it's comparable to Visual Studio.

Well - it's a bit lazy (on my 1.8GHz, especially while parsing...) and the executable creation managment is stupid, IMHO, but otherwise, it's great IDE [smile]

And it's free [smile]

Oxyd

I'm going to recommend NetBeans, I used Eclipse for my software engineering class last year and I found it annoying to work with. The NetBeans IDE is much nicer and the visual editor for NetBeans isn't mentally retarded.

I used NetBeans in the past. But older versions were not that great (clunky, awkward interface, memory hog). Most of the time I used JCreator for my own stuff. We switched to Eclipse in the office last year. I've never looked back, and anything else is just awkward now. The latest version of NetBeans is an improvement over past versions, but Eclipse has me hooked.

I used JCreator for a while when I got into Java programming but now the only IDE I use is JBuilder from Borland - for a free IDE it is absolutely awesome and highly recommended.

I'm not sure exactly what features Eclipse/NetBeans has but JBuilder will highlight syntax errors as you type and also allow preview of code documentation as you write it.

Quote:
Original post by Razorpro
I've heard that NetBeans can be slow at times. What about Eclipse?

I run Eclipse on a p3 700mhz, 256MB RAM. Overall it is very responsive. The only times I ever see any pauses or stutters are when memory intensive features are first activated (such as code assist), when I have a gazillion files open (menus can be slow to respond then), or when I switch back to Eclipse from another app window (but that just has to do with Windows paging from disk). On a system with more RAM and/or faster processor, these sorts pauses become rare.

NetBeans used to really, truly be annoying because of how slow the interface was on the same system. It was absurd. The latest versions have been streamlined and are much more responsive than they were before (I tried it again a couple of months back). I attribute the poor performance to shoddy API design. The NetBeans application platform is(was?) just a convoluted mess. I assume they have given it an overhaul since the performance has improved by a couple orders of magnitude.

Certain operations in Eclipse can be a bit slow, particularly if (like me) your machine doesn't really have enough RAM.

But of course this is generally true of IDEs.

Once it's got itself settled, it's generally able to figure out what I'm coding faster than I can code it.

The code completion is pretty good, better than anything else I've seen. And refactoring is amazing.

Mark

Eclipse is indeed very good.. very well featured, the JUnit testing integration was impressive. Runs pretty fast, has CVS, good plugin system. My only fault with it is a lack of a GUI editor, which is what NetBeans is good at (Netbeans I otherwise find a bit slow to load and sometimes unstable). If Eclipse had that then it would win. I've looked up some GUI editing plugins but none seem to work.

This topic is 4858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.