What's the deal with gamemaker?

Started by
15 comments, last by pex22 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi, everyone! I will probably be accepting a request from someone to do a Gamemaker tutorial. I actually don't use it or even know much about it. From what I saw on the app's website it apparently uses a more simplistic approach on game development using a built-in programming language. I just wanted to see if someone could help sharing any positive or negative (or neutral, even!) experiences about it and if this program really helps much in understanding game development. Any help is appreciated.
Advertisement
first you should specify which "Gamemaker" you're talking about.. there are quite a few programs titled "Gamemaker"
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
If you're talking about the one at gamemaker.nl it's good for a hobbyist, or if you want to get a game out to get your company known in freeware/shareware circles (i.e. promotions).

I'm not sure what kind of tutorial you need, but if you're more specific (i.e. fighting games, platformers, etc. (need to specify which aspect you need if it's for RPG)) I'll see if I can write one up.
300In the land of the proud and freeyou can sell your soul and your dignityfor fifteen minutes on tvhere in Babylon.
I've tried it, a few years ago, and if you want my opinion then learn C++ or another REAL programming language and a render API like OpenGL or Direct3D!
The GameMaker program is only for newbies who are to lazy to learn what's going on behind the scenes...
It's okay for VERY small games, which are very simple and which doesn't need the speed, graphics or anything like a game a newbie would be making in C++ and OpenGL.
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
hmm...I don't see the point in that 3DGameMaker software, it's just far too simple to be any more than a novalty, and certinly no use for a 'real' project.

However, the developers of 3DGameMaker also made software called DarkBasic Pro, which is certinly a big step forward. If your just starting out programming, or want to put a toe in the water in 3d graphics, then give it a try.

Its also pretty good for prototyping too, due to the speed and ease of getting things up and running.

It's a good 'My First Programming Language' but as always, C++/DirectX or OpenGL or simelar is needed for serious projects.
As others have mentioned, to a certain extent it depends on which game maker you mean, as there are several with similar names.

I've played around a little with the demo/shareware version of Mark Overmars' Game Maker but haven't used it to create anything.

It looked to be a useful tool for those who wish to learn the basics of game design and creation without being distracted by technical details or needing to program.

It also seemed to be flexible enough to allow the user to go beyond the "point and click" creation method and learn a C style scripting language.

It could certainly be used as a stepping stone to learning a more sophisticated game creation system, such as the Torque Game Engine or 3DGameStudio, or even C/C++ programming.

It's a little like using Frontpage Express or Netscape Composer to learn the basic building blocks of web pages before moving on to coding by hand.
I used gamemaker for almost a year before I started real programming. I got really bored with it after a while. ive seen some pretty good stuff come out of it, but its impossible to make anything really amazing with it. it has its own scripting language called 'gml' wich is basically a combination of c++ and java. I would say go for, since it is very poular and you would likely get more people to your site.
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
I tried gamemaker long time ago as well it seemed nice at the time but sort of limited I abandoned it after a while. It's not a bad program to get started with though, it looks like they are planning to add 3d support as well link
Yes, I'm talking about http://www.gamemaker.nl, as some of you have guessed. I looked up the page listing some of the games created with it and tried a doom clone that was in there. I didn't find anything too sophisticated about the graphics. Anyway, this tutorial I may be doing will be directed towards programming beginners at my school which I guess seems okay for a target audience. Thanks for the repies, BTW.
Have you considered PyGame? Its the easiest game API I've ever used, and it even possible to make some high-quaility games with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement