Sign in to follow this  

Sample API code

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is it that you are looking for in the WinAPI, exactly? It's pretty vast you know.

If you just want to look at some random things, you could get the Microsoft Platform SDK (Clicky) and look under "Development Guides/Windows API/Functions by Category" and just pick one.

Regards,
jflanglois

IMHO, WinProg is a great source for Win32 API programming. As for simple programs that use them, just grab ahold of some basecode from one of the linked tutorials and modify it. As has been said before, the WinAPI is VAST, to say the least. Focus on a specific area and try to learn that. Be aware that many people have written wrappers for the various parts, so once you feel comfortable with what functions are available, you can easily switch to such a wrapper to simplify your development.

Windows API is simple enough,just gets a little warming up to it's feel and once you are there, you might even feel it's much better than DOS console programming.
I kinda speak from personal experiance.Read the tutorial links given to you by the guys,every bit is quite good.

Here they are togather:
theForger's WinProg One of the sites I learnt from when I began,it's really good.

Game Tutorials (Win32) Very nice,covers a lot of stuff, as they apply to games.

Win32 Programming Seems to be real good, am taking a look at it.

I would not recommend you use any wrapper even if it seems easy.Just get the stuff from the tutorials and do them.You will gain experiance, get to know the pitfalls (mem leaks, for one), and the general procedures.This should put you in a good position to try out examples and understand it, as well as learn more.

Best of luck.

Also check these links out:
Win32 API reference [good and neccessary when you need to look up things]
Windows API Tutorials [worth taking a look at,advanced_ish stuff also present]
Al's Win32 Programming Page [Contains a few useful stuff.Check it out.]
MSDN [Microsoft,need i say more]

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.