Sign in to follow this  

Adding strings together

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/cstring/strcat.html

but, why use strings if it's only 1 character long? use a simple char instead and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. then you can just add them into the mainstring inside a for loop:

for ( int i = 0; i < 128; ++i )
{
char theNewChar = someFunctionThatGetsYourChar();
mainstring[i] = theNewChar;
}

-me

if your using C++, use std::string. its purpose is to simplify using strings. you can easily concatanate strings via the + operator. ex:

string first_name = "joe";
string lane_name = "smith";

cout << "Your name is"<< first_name + " " + last_name <<endl;

this will print out "Your name is joe smith". personally i think this makes life a million times easier then using functions. for example, you can make an error logging function which receives a single string as parameters, BUT, you dont have to send it a single string, you can concatnate strings in the function call.

string error = Get_Error();
log(" Error in function X :" + error);

sooo much nicer then using C style methods.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The char mainstring[1] = "a"... etc thing you were talking about would work, but don't forget to null terminate your string, otherwise you'll get "ab" followed by garbage. But it's easier to use a class, like graveyard filla suggested, or you can use strcat(), like Palidine suggests. However, his loop isn't entirely correct, because of the null termination thing I mentioned.

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.