Sign in to follow this  

Working on something

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have complete permission from the owner of the specified game! i want to create a new version of toadwater.com the game, and need help, like how would i start, my first project, i am planning on doing it in open gl C++ but if you can recommend something else that would be great.

While this maybe a very mean thing to say, I would suggest you give up recreating ToadWater.

If you are intent on making ToadWater, I suggest starting with a console chat program and start building from there.

Okay how would i start doing that. And ToadWater can be a better game if i recreate everyone hates Qill and i want to recreate this game, and make it better, i hate waiting, not a very patient person so i want to create a fast paced version that you can constantly play without waiting 30 sec 5 sec or 1 min for things. basically a game where you can constantly play it.

Well.

1. What resources do you have? Do you have a server for everyone to play on? Are your servers fast enough to handle constant play from hundreds of players? If not, you'll only be able to make a single player game or rent / run a server.

2. How skilled are you? This is a big project; you might want to get some small projects, like a pac-man clone, a simple RTS or a chat program done, before starting it.

3. Have you looked into all tools available. You might get away with using some gamemaker rather than OpenGL & C++, if they have everything you need. If this is your first project, using a tool WILL increase your success rate. You'll also need a network library of some sort.

4. Do you accept it might take a long while before you have anything to show for your work? You're definitely not going to have Toadwater by the end of the year.

Well dede,

[1. What resources do you have? Do you have a server for everyone to play on? Are your servers fast enough to handle constant play from hundreds of players? If not, you'll only be able to make a single player game or rent / run a server. ]

I am friends with a company working on a MMORPG, there servers are available to me, the company is evilgamers there working on RageKage Online, so there server is available.

[2. How skilled are you? This is a big project; you might want to get some small projects, like a pac-man clone, a simple RTS or a chat program done, before starting it.]

I understand but well lets just say i am skilled.

[3. Have you looked into all tools available. You might get away with using some gamemaker rather than OpenGL & C++, if they have everything you need. If this is your first project, using a tool WILL increase your success rate. You'll also need a network library of some sort.]

Hmm Game Maker, i have not found one with enough flexibility, i have not found one that does not limit you in any way, so. Network Library? Do you have a recommendation?

[4. Do you accept it might take a long while before you have anything to show for your work? You're definitely not going to have Toadwater by the end of the year.]

i have all the time in the world. As long as i feel i am doing work on it then i am happy.

Ahh, I have to apologize, because I wrote you off as a n00b, since you have the generic n00b question, "I want a MMORPG for my first project"

There's so many ways to approach this problem it's a bit intimidating at the start of a project:

Here are your 4 options.

1) Purchase a pre-made MMORPG framework, such as Butterfly net.
That would probably put you ahead because it takes a long time to produce networking code as well as fixes to different load balancing issues.

2) Roll your own everything. Not a great idea on a single man project because of the time involved, but it's possible to do it.

3) Try and find as many free libraries as possible and mesh them together. 2d engines, networking code, physic engines and collision detection libraries are all over the net. Write code connecting them and custom code for whatever you need.

4) Modify an existing GPL'ed MMORPG and use that as your base.

IMHO, besides option one & four, you should start with a server and a client on a single computer. Open a port using whatever networking system you choose and then send a string of text.

Most networking libraries with any documentation will have a "Internet Time Service" tutorial, which shows you how to open, detect connections, receive data and close a port.

As soon as you figure out how to send and receive a single message, run your client and server on different computers on the same network, then different computers across the Internet.

That would be my first step on creating a MMORPG.

Basically, MMORPGs just send data to and from a server and use a client to interpret the data. Learning how to do that would be the first step in your game.

After this step, there are so many different ways to accomplish your goal; I'd have to make design decisions for you. I'd lean heavily on your friends at RageKage, since they're probably more skilled than I.

Sadly, I'm not very skilled in networking, so I really can't recommend a good networking library. I used HawkNL and BSD sockets with reasonable success, but only for the most simplest of program.

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.