What development software should I use when I make a wingame?

Started by
5 comments, last by keithwill 19 years, 7 months ago
include graphic development softwares.
Advertisement
By "wingame" I suppose you mean a game for M$ Windows? Well, it all depends on the type of game you want to make, your experience, etc..

Judging from the wording of your question, I assume you have nearly no experience programming Windows, or maybe even programming in general. Please don't be offended then, if I sound like Im talking down to you.

You will first need a programming language. This is a personal choice based on your skills and goals. The most common language to use is C++, and in Windows that would mean Visual C++.NET. There are also other languages you can use like C# (my favorite), Visual BASIC, Python, or Java.

In addition to a language, you will need some graphics library. There are a number of them, but I suggest you look into DirectX and OpenGl. I find the easiest one to program is C# with Managed DirectX.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about in the above paragraphs, I suggest you google a program called DarkBasic. Itll at least get you started.

EDIT: lol, sorry anist.
while genrally i am against the "be more specific" replies. this one truly warrants it. do you know a language? what type of game are you wanting to make (2D, 3D)? wingame == anygame, so you need to be more specific for anyone to help you besides throwing up some wild stabs at it.

EDIT: of course, someone beat me to it :(
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
Thanks for your replies!
I am from a non-English country,so please forgive my poor expression.
I want to get start of making games on windows.I have some
knowledge about c/c++,and I made some app using C# and Java.
Considering the speed of apps,I want to use c++ for my programming language.Please tell me where should I begin with?
If there some mistakes in my English grammar,please point out
too.
Thank you!
If you have experience of C#, you could grab the DirectX SDK and start playing around with Managed DirectX, it'll probably be quicker in the long run and the speed difference isn't that great between C++/C# (and is set to become less).

Other than that, grab ahold of something like Allegro to start playing around with 2D games. There's also SDL, which you can use OpenGL with (NeHe is a good tutorial reference for OpenGL).

It really depends what sort of game you want to make, what size, how experienced you are with your chosen language, how much time you wish to dedicate et al.
If you want to use C++, Dev-C++ is a good choice, or perhaps the free version of Microsoft's Visual C++ .NET compiler? The MS one is the same optimizing compiler that ships with Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional, but it's commandline only where Dev-C++ is a development environment that comes with GCC, another very good free compiler.
Thanks for your zeal!
I'll try some of those.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement