3D Model Types and copyrights

Started by
6 comments, last by Iggy4Shiggy 19 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I'm currently trying to work on a game with a group of friends (with OpenGL), and was wondering if I ever decided to sell it, I want everything to be legal aka non copyright infringement. The problem I am having is deciding what 3D models I should load. I really loved the idea of MD3 as it offers easy animation (a must) but the MD3 format is copyright Quake 3 if I understand correctly. I am wondering what other formats there are that are not copyright, provide easy importing into OpenGL(via c++), and have a good animation setup. And, if possible, this format can be exported by 3D Studio or Maya (I could make models in Maya, export to this dream file format). Thanks!
Advertisement
You can't copyright a file format, but the license for the importer/exporter might say that you can use it only for non-commerical purposes.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton
You can't copyright a file format, but the license for the importer/exporter might say that you can use it only for non-commerical purposes.

Then what about the gif format?
Why not create your own format? It's not really that hard. Sure you'll have to make your own exporter for 3DS and Maya but that shouldn't really be a problem.
GIF was restricted under patent law, and not by copyright.

I seem to remember a post about this issue quoting Carmack: He said that they didn't mind people using their formats so long as they didn't use their (iD's) tools to create them.

So assuming that your exporter for Max or Maya isn't the creation of iD you shouldn't have a problem.

TBH I think his real problem was with people using the map making tools which offer more in terms of features than simple exporters
the quake 3 model format will be GPL'd soon enough if Id takes the same route that they did before. Then as long as you don't verbatim copy the model loading code you should be fine. Alas if you're not a huge game studio I doubt anyone is going to come after you for using the model format....it's not like you're EA or something.
Quote:Original post by xg0blin
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton

Then what about the gif format?

I think the compression algorithm used in GIF is what's patented.
Thank you guys! I guess I shall use MD3 then. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement