Sign in to follow this  

City Level Design

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My game is going to be mainly based around a city. I want it to be realistic - more than Vice City for example, so you have different areas (wealthy/poor, industrial/residential estates etc) to make it more interesting and varied. Any good ideas on little things that would make it liek this? So far I've come up with various states of repair for the cars driving around, so some are older than others rather than all the cars looking brand new like in most of these games (driver, GTA, etc). I also need some ideas on how to make the inhabitants more realistic - not just walking from A to B and occassionaly saying the same phrase over and over. EDIT: Also, what do people think about time pasing, e.g. day and night, etc? Realtime based on the time in the real world (like Shenmue)? Or like Vice City - speeded up relatively, so you don;t have o wait long if you're waiting for a set time to arrive.

I think you have to decide what country the city will be in. If it's an american city, it'll look, feel, and act different than say, most european cities, or a japanese city for example.

If it's American, there's a lot of things to take into consideration for creating a very realistic landscape. To make it truly your own city, and not modelled after a real city, a little research in Urban Anthropology should be sufficient to get you started.

Basic understanding of gentrification, development practices, stratification, security design, and red lining will get you heading in the right direction.

Or you could just wing it like the people in GTA did, and people who've never been to a real city will think it's just fine. :)

As far as citizen AI goes, I can't say much about that, except shooting in the dark blind folded would probably yield a better citizen AI than found in GTA vice city. You could probably give the citizens "goals" or a basic sentient state, so they'll know when there is danger near, and won't stand around while a fellow citizen is getting beaten or shot to death.

Thanks. I've been searching through photography books on Amazon, for architectur etc but haven't really found anything. You've given me some good terms to search with there.

I have thought about modelling on a real city (or town or whatever) kind of like the Getaway did, but this involves mountains more work, including sh1t loads of digital photography etc.. Then you have to probably get permission to use shop names businesses etc in your game...

Good point about the country though - deciding on one will help a lot as I can then look into culture, etc.

Does anyone want to suggest a good country they would like to play in? (the game is kind of the bourne identity meets GTA, for a rough idea of what I'm doing).

Hehe, Canada. You never really see a game based in Canada =P.

I'm more kidding than anything, but I would say go with whichever country you feel most comfortable with and know more of the inner workings of.

Quote:
Original post by Terlenth
Hehe, Canada. You never really see a game based in Canada =P.

Haha, I can see it now. The street gangs of Toronto. The slimy underbelly of street life in the slums of Quebec. The drug trade in London, Ontario.

But actually, it might be kind of fun to do a game based in Canada. You could use all the stereotypes you want, and make it ravingly politically incorrect.

'Won't give us what we want, eh?'
'I'm not gonna tell you anything, hoser.'

Ooooo, I'm excited.

Woah, an American who know's his Canadian geography. j/k.

That could actually be extremely funny. You and me Numsgil =P. I can provide the "In Canada experience" and you could bring the stereotypes =p.

Quote:
Woah, an American who know's his Canadian geography. j/k.

That could actually be extremely funny. You and me Numsgil =P. I can provide the "In Canada experience" and you could bring the stereotypes =p.

Haha, it's a deal! If there's anything I've learned from my years of life in America, it's how to make and use stereotypes. I think the best game would take place in the gritty underbelly of walrus smuggling from Iqaluit, Nanuvut to Toronto. Then you could throw in some eskimo jokes for the heck of it! (Are there any eskimos in Nanuvut? I don't know. But who's going to check [wink] [lol])

Hey, the game could resemble a current hollywood movie, yielding it instant familiarity in naming conventions.

"Canooks vs. Ameriks." - Whoever wins, hockey loses.

Eh? Eh? Take off, hoser.

Quote:
I'm more kidding than anything, but I would say go with whichever country you feel most comfortable with and know more of the inner workings of.

I don't really know the inner workings of anywhere except England (where I live) and Americe (from films and video games, so probably completely wrong anyway). I'm just a bit bored of games based in America, and it would be a change to base it somewhere else. Like Stalker based in Chernobyl - that's a brilliant idea.

Quote:

Like Stalker based in Chernobyl - that's a brilliant idea.

Before or after that whole nuclear meltdown thing? If it's after, it must be a short game ;)

After. Find the website and have a look - the screenshots are really creeepy as they actually went to the deserted town and took loads of phots etc. The story is quite good as well.

Interesting idea. There is this website of a girl who has a ton and ton of photos of cherynobl. She goes there on quite weekend motorcycle rides.

The thing is, her dad is some kind of nuclear scientist who has access there, so he gave her some kind of nuclear isotype indicater, so she knows where she can and cannot safely go in the city.

There are areas where the radioactivity is untolerable for humans. My only point was, how can these unshielded people run around a nuclear wasteland :P

Oh well it's not important. You can blow stuff up!

Quote:

There are areas where the radioactivity is untolerable for humans. My only point was, how can these unshielded people run around a nuclear wasteland :P

Well theres some good gameplay right there, we now have areas where the player either cant access without aquiring appropriate shielding, or perhaps has a timelimit for staying in.

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.