Sign in to follow this  

Space Out! My first real finished game.

This topic is 4855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. I have a fiew games set on the horison, but I thought I whould post a compleat game I programmed back a while ago. I was folowing a book, so I used the images and folowed the code that came with it. However, I did all the coding. I`m shure some optimasation could be done, but basicaly this is it. I am so happy I got something finished! ^_^ Space Out! is a game harking back to the arcades of the 80`s. Here is the link to my LJ about it: LJ Page Here is the direct downloading page: Space Out! Download Page! Comments and Reviews can be posted in my LJ or in the Guest Book. Enjoy! ^-^ Images, Sounds, and Design by Michael Morrison. Codeing done by Sidepocket_Pro My next game I am going to program is going to be totaly origonal....

huh?

*is confused*

I got the code with Begining Game Programming by Michael Morrison, who is a genious. I typed out all the code in the book. :-p

Boy, I cannot wait to do my next compleat game! ^-^

How is it?

[removed bad language - Tiffany Smith]

[Edited by - Tiffany_Smith on August 26, 2004 2:20:50 PM]

You don't code a game the source of which you read in a book, you only type that source.

However, I can only hope this typing has given you the ability to write code on your own, without having to copy your code from a book. As such, I look forward to the first complete game you will code. And I sure hope you will not try to make others believe another's work is yours.

[edit: remove stuff agreeing with ToohrVyk]

The legality of this game being an exact copy of Michael Morrison's is dubious to say the least. (Although I haven't seen the original license).

I'd say that it's important to differentiate between copying example code and what appears to have happened here. The latter is not really a good idea (legally and in terms of the ethereal karma :) Copying example code is generally OK[1] (we're talking short chunks here) particularily when it's the only way of doing something - eg., initialising your graphics API. Moreover it's unlikely that the vendor of the API is going to sue you for using the initialisation code example that they gave. Consider the developer reaction if Microsoft sued someone (effectively) for using DirectX.

[1] Note, I'm not a lawyer, so obviously I could be completely wrong about this.

[Edited by - LucidIon on August 26, 2004 3:04:03 PM]

Hmmm...

Thats odd, it never mentioned anything like this in the copywright statement that I saw.

Oh well, I`ll take it down anyway. Just to be safe.

Thanks guys.

Oh yes, I am looking forward to see what I can do with this new knowlage after codeing. ^-^

may i ask u to help me plz. i am a newbie and i have never done any programming before. wat is the name of your compiler. i really want to learn how to program games so i joined this site for advice. plz help.

This topic is 4855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.