Sign in to follow this  

upgrading compilers and directx sdk, worth it?

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello all, i know i haven't posted here that often, but i now have a question that i need answered if you would please; i use VC++ 6.0 and DirectX 7.0 sdk, is it worth upgrading these? thanks.

I would say definately upgrade DX at least. If you plan on using .NET then it may be worth your while to upgrade VC++ but there is nothing wrong with it at all.

VC++.NET is an incredibly worthwhile upgrade. At the time, VC++ 6.0 was hands down the best IDE out there. Well, now .NET is. It really blows 6.0 out of the water. Great source control integration, much better handling of project properties, more streamlined debugger interface, more easily extensible with plugins, better autocompletion, more customizable interface.... I could go on and on.

DX is also a good upgrade, since it's free. [wink] These days it's almost a must, because of its support for programmable pipelines.

If you are working on a 3D game, upgrade to DX 9 - otherwise there is no change (at least in the API) from version 7. As for .NET, if you don't plan on using C#, its probably not worth the upgrade (unless you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket).

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.