Sign in to follow this  

Brew and J2ME

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all can any body tell me good source of tutorials to start working in BREW, also i m interested in comparing BREW and J2ME. also i want to know abt marketing strategy of mobile games, can anyone help me in this regard, any good source of info for this? bye

Here's a link to help you out, its the official Qualcomm site for BREW...
http://brew.qualcomm.com/brew/en/

As to marketing strategies, Ive worked in the industry, albeit temporarily, so I can offer a little insight...

I worked for a small mobile gaming shop for a while, and the way we got it off the ground initially was to do ports by night. I was a full-time student, and was also teaching... but for some reason decided writing mobile games in the little spare time I had would be fun. Our company was essentially subcontracting for larger developers (such as JamDAT, THQ, etc.), and our main work was to port the games across several handsets.

This meant that I got paid a flat rate per port, and essentially I had to finish a port in about 5 hours --> or just do what I could in 5 hrs and turn it in, however buggy it was at the time; it simply wasnt financially worthwile to spend any more time than that on a port (due to the flat rate).

Maybe that'll help you out --> basically, unless you have a sufficiently large investment, or are exceptionally talented to write entire mobile games in your spare time (which I wasn't, Im more a team player than a solo genius); you'll have to start by subcontracting work from bigger corporations - the service providers cant bank on indie shops.

The work can be frustrating, devices are buggy, APIs not well documented, the bigger shops basically demand whatever they want without concern for us minions, etc; however if you enjoy the thrill of writing programs alone, it can be fulfilling. Personally, it wasn't for me, and I got out.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to add the comparisons between the two APIs.

J2ME
----
Advantages: Much greater install base, easier to develop for and deploy, good clean API, excellent developer documentation, Java takes care of memory management
Disadvantages: Typically less stack space on J2ME phones, entire midlet is loaded up front

BREW
----
Advantages: Better security (piracy is lower), faster?? - lower level language
Disadvantages: Slightly cryptic - lost in the land somewhere between 'bad C' and 'insane C++', expensive to develop for, too much bug testing required

I'd also like to add one more irrelevant thing:
!!!DAMN YOU FUNLIGHTS!!!

One correction..

Mayn people not accusotmed to ways in which Virtual Machines work claim that non Vms are more secure which is not the case its the exact opposite..

You can write viruses for Brew platform you cannot deliberately write a virus for j2me or for C# for that matter..

One of the reasons MS moved to MS.NET Vms is becuase it smore secure not less!

I think psamty10 meant that it is much harder to pirate a game in BREW because of the way the provisioning works. More security for the game developer, not the user. Of course, because of the certification that BREW apps need to go through before they can be provisioned for the general public, they are probably just as secure as J2ME despite the fact that BREW has lower level access.

shmoove

Hmm... Does anybody have any resources on how to prevent piracy, particularly with regard to J2ME? I guess I can think of a few ways, but it would be good to know what's already in use...

Most antipiracy mechanisms are collaborations between the phone manufacturer and the service provider. You're unlikely to be able to do much stuff on your own.

Quote:
Original post by Zild
Hmm... Does anybody have any resources on how to prevent piracy, particularly with regard to J2ME? I guess I can think of a few ways, but it would be good to know what's already in use...

As Sneftel already wrote you can't do much.

Just remember to obfuscate your midlets (to prevent people from copying stuff from them).

I have an idea of a system I might try building where each midlet had it's own unique number it would register with a server. And each number would only work once.

Problem is the if I don't work out where in the jar the number is stored(and with what compression) it would be hard to change it without having to rebuild the midlet. Although a fast computer could have a queue system, where it rebuilt the midlet's before sending uploading them and sending the phones the adress.

/MindWipe

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
j2ME is suppose to discontine by next year.
No it isn't. Quit spreading unsubstantiated and clearly false rumors.

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.