Sign in to follow this  

I can't run my DX application in another computer

This topic is 4858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am trying to execute my application in another computer, but it doesn't run. The computer has a DX9 runtime installed (but not VC++) and its configuration supports the necessary requirements. (in my computer the application works perfectly) I already ran others 3D applications in that computer, but this time the application calls some txt files and maybe the problem is there. I'm sure the path for the files is right and I use the "fopen" function to read them. Is there some special thing that I should do, in this case? Maybe add some dll... Thanks in advance.

First off, I'd reccommend making sure that you have every single file that your program requires copied to the persons harddrive. If you are transporting the program using removable media, I would suggest moving it off of the disc or whatever you are using first, if you havn't already.

If that doesnt work, there is obviously something on your computer that the program needs to work, that isn't on this other person's computer. I cant help you here, as I do not know what this program is, or what it does, but I would suggest looking through all libraries or dll's that the program refrences, and searching through the other computer for them.

Otherwise, the person may have a botched installation of Direct X. (If you are indeed using it) Check everything that comes to mind, and install any components that the program needs that are on your computer, and not on the other person's.

If you have already tried all of this, I can't be of any more help.

[Edit] Another thing just came to mind.

Be sure that the program isnt configured to only your computer. By this I mean, the file paths need to be the same on both computers, and the files need to be in those file paths. Another problem could be that the person has a different os than you, but this may only be a problem in certian cases. (One that comes to mind is that some of the standard file paths are different in different versions of Windows (Ie. The default windows folder in XP home is C:/Windows, where in 2000, I think its C:/WinNT

Fiddle a bit. There has to be something that your program needs that it doesn't have.

~Griffyboy0~

Quote:
Original post by Mari_p
but this time the application calls some txt files and maybe the problem is there.

You can make sure that the error is due to file loading by implementing exception handling for this, or giving out a message box when an error in loading happens.
if you come to directx errors, if your applicaiton is working on your PC and not his, then this has one of three reasons:
First: The Caps of his card does not support what you are trying to do in your application.
Second: a driver bug.
Third:You are assuming something as a default so you don't set, some drivers can handle this and others don't.

Check these possible causes

You could statically link the DLL's (some of them anyway) it requires so that it won't need them transferred. It makes the executable bigger, but it might be the fastest way to see if the problem is linked to them. I also agree with the other comments made.

Chris

This topic is 4858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.