Very basic Fps.

Started by
2 comments, last by modena 19 years, 8 months ago
I am looking to make my own First person shooter just for fun to share with my friends. I am not sure whether i will like something like this or not, so I just want to give it a try without learning a programming language. does anyone know what would be a good Program to do this. Bascically all I want is a simple enviroment where i can go around and shoot some monsters and not have a lot of trouble coding. I am very good at photoshop and am getting a lot better at 3d modelling (3ds max) so graphics wouldn't be a problem. All i think I will have trouble with is putting it all together. So, do you guys no any good programs, or do you think it would be better to learn a programming language and do it the right way? If so, which one? Does anyone have any other advice?
Advertisement
Far Cry and Doom 3 both come with tools to "mod" them into your own game where you can walk around in your own environment and shoot monsters.

The Unreal series, the Quake series, and the Half-Life series are also often used for these purposes. Google for "game mod tools" for more information, or look in the "game mod" forum.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
After i donwloaded the kits, would I need any other software to help me mod?
It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to make your own levels, using the stock weapons and enemies you can just use the level editor that should come with the SDK (Half-Lifes is called Hammer I believe).

However, if you want to change the gameplay of the game you'll need a compiler such as Visual C++. Adding new enemy or gun models will also require a 3d modeler such as Milkshape.

So it all depends on how much you want to change the original game. The more you want to change the more software you'll need. However much can be found as freeware on the internet. I know Dev C++ is a good alternative to Visual C++, but it might take some playing around to get it working smoothly with the mod SDK.
--------------------------<modena> - Comfortably Nub

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement