Unreal engine 3 and specular map ?

Started by
29 comments, last by MumbleFuzz 19 years, 7 months ago
Thank you for the link !

Quote:Original post by python_regious

Erm, sorry, but I think you're getting confused here. The virtual displacement mapping is either parallax mapping, or some variation on it, not normal mapping.

You are probably right. There is a lots of technics, and what I would have called normal mapping, was not called like this.
Advertisement
Quote:I also have one at my home machine on a slightly different technique of virtual displacement mapping ( you get proper silluettes with it )

mh? what's that technique called? (sorry if it has already been discussed on the forums, but I've been away without the net for 4 weeks, and I didn't yet have time to look through all that has been posted since :) )

Quote:Original post by sBibi
Quote:I also have one at my home machine on a slightly different technique of virtual displacement mapping ( you get proper silluettes with it )

mh? what's that technique called? (sorry if it has already been discussed on the forums, but I've been away without the net for 4 weeks, and I didn't yet have time to look through all that has been posted since :) )

I can't remember, I'll be getting home from my parents on Tuesday, so I'll post it here then.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Quote:Original post by sBibi

*real* displacement mapping get proper silluettes. It change the mesh in function of the diffuse map. (If someone is not ok with that please, say it ;))
Quote:*real* displacement mapping get proper silluettes. It change the mesh in function of the diffuse map. (If someone is not ok with that please, say it ;))

he talked about _virtual_ displacement mapping here :)
and erm... the diffuse map is used for.. the diffuse term, not displacement :D you probably meant the displacement map.

Quote:I can't remember, I'll be getting home from my parents on Tuesday, so I'll post it here then.

OK, thanks! :)
You could modify the depth of each pixel in the fragment shader based on the height map to get real displacement per pixel. Not tested this, but it should work.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You could modify the depth of each pixel in the fragment shader based on the height map to get real displacement per pixel. Not tested this, but it should work.

I can see that messing up early Z rejection, nice idea though...
What do you mean by messing up early z rejection? Early z reject will be disabled if the fragment z is being modified.

http://www.delphi3d.net/ has a demo doing z-correct parallax mapping and horizon mapping. But the fragment level z displacement is an approximation which still does not fix the silhouette problem.. it makes intersections look better though.
Early z reject will be disabled if the fragment z is being modified.

Thats what I meant. Since you'd be doing this on most surfaces aswell in a level, you're basically rendering without early z reject, which'll put a big dent in your performance. Of course, I'm not talking from experience, because I haven't tried it, but I can imagine it hurting performance rather badly.
What do you mean by messing up early z rejection? Early z reject will be disabled if the fragment z is being modified.

http://www.delphi3d.net/ has a demo doing z-correct parallax mapping and horizon mapping. But the fragment level z displacement is an approximation which still does not fix the silhouette problem.. it makes intersections look better though.

Well it makes it look better on pictures..
when moving however, it looks horrible..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement