I hate my base code...

Started by
20 comments, last by Auron 19 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Auron
I think he was actually referring to using INI files in general. If not, then definitely use the registry. windows.ini is obsolete.

If you mean just using INI files in general, don't do that either. You could write your own parser and stuff, or find one online, but really, INI files are getting to be antiquated (at least in my opinion). Use XML files for configuration instead. There are libraries (like TinyXML) that will do most of the hard stuff for you.

-Auron

imho, registry is a piece of nonportable crap, and you should make a wrapper for it.
Using xml to store everything is also bad idea(imho).It makes things look "omg,professional" but it's not always necessary (and i personally hate *ml sintax).

It's best to make your own/use something else.
Advertisement
I agree that the registry pretty much sucks. And it does create one more awkward non-portable construct if you're trying to port an app. But it is better than using INI files.

Quote:Original Post by Dmytry
It's best to make your own/use something else.

And you're entitled to your opinion. I agree that XML can often be overkill, especially if all you want is "resolutionx=1024" kind of stuff. Configurations like those are dead easy to parse. If you want more complicated configurations with tidier code for parsing them, then XML, or some configuration parser library, will often be better.

-Auron

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement