Sign in to follow this  

Looking for PURE C++ newbs to learn together

This topic is 4850 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a very new C++ programmer, I've only been programming for a week. I am looking for some other new programmers who are trying to learn C++ and know only simple basics like how to make small little programs. I would like a few people who would like to learn together and eventually make maybe a few small games together once we have the knowledge. If you're interrested, post here with your MSN (preferabbly) or AIM. Thanks :)

Should these programmers be pure newbie, pure c++, or perhaps just pure in some other physical or metaphysical sense? ;)

On a more serious note, I'd have to agree with SumDood from personal experience and say that, though it may be more confusing at times, having an experienced person to mentor you is of FAR greater benefit than having someone whose learning along side you. If you can form your group though, more power to ya, I just expect resources like this board will be of more value.

i'll pm you my msn and i'm a C++ newbie.
I have a very good book that i'm learning from, and so far i've learned some about data, strings, pointers, functions, arrays, a little about multidimentional arrays, and some about structures. Also I used to know a bit about classes and files but i've forgot that.
So I've learned some of the basics, but i'm still not very good.
and what time zone are you in? I'm in GMT +2 (when its not daylight saving time i'm in GMT +1).
Tobbe

first lesson of C++:

standard header files should not have ".h"s
example:

#include <iostream>
//not
#include <iostream.h> // very very bad.

second lesson play with this code!

#include <iostream> // allows you to have input and output
#include <string> // C++ version of strings, makes life very easy

using namespace std; // qualifies variables from the two header files

int main()
{
string Word1 = NULL; //way to initialize and clear strings
string Word2 = NULL;

int number1 = 0; // always good to initialize variables
int number2 = 0;

cin >> Word1; //here's your input
cout << Word1 << endl; //there's your output

cin >> number1;
cin >> number2;

Word2 = "This code is crazy.";
cout << Word2 << endl;

cin >> Word2;

cout << "New word " << Word2 << endl;

cout << Word1 << Word2 << number1 + number2 << endl;

return 0;
}

enjoy!

I have just been using C++ for the last few days as I've been working on a very basic text-adventure game. You can contact me via email at Slayer@talk-linux.com or AIM TheSlayer097. I would be very happy to join your group, but I think that its more of the blind leading the blind unless we have some experience programmers to give us some tips now and them and help us along.

If you ever need help with C++ quick, there are a few places you can do. Theres this place right here! You can hop into the chat room; theres always people in there who know what their about. Or you can just IM me. My AIM name is right there in my profile, I think. I wouldn't recommend myself to myself, but I should be good enough for you, atleast for now.

Hi I started with C++ about a week ago and just started taking a class at school. I'll join up if you dont mind.

AIM- STGBen0
ICQ- 331128168
MSN- stgben88@hotmail.com

racy1@hotmail.com

i just started c++ i have a basic understanding of variables strucs, strings etc i hope to learn more stuff to be able to go into the game industry so if you want any help or can give help theres my address

Just curious but why C++? I started with it and now i really don't know why I did. If you already know the theory behind programming etc, and you know what your doing, you can skip reading my post :P.
Also, are you a student with alot of free time on your hands? I'm just saying this because if i were to go back in time, i would either start with a book like "Programming from the ground up", which starts out with assembly(makes it easy), and explains the fundamental concepts of computing. Or i would start with a higher level language and work my way down(like Python for example, which introduces the programming concepts gently), starting with C++ would just seem to me like starting in the middle :P, and is not really the approach i'd personally use, but hey, each have their own ways of learning i suppose :).

Quote:
Original post by Legend097
I have just been using C++ for the last few days as I've been working on a very basic text-adventure game. You can contact me via email at Slayer@talk-linux.com or AIM TheSlayer097. I would be very happy to join your group, but I think that its more of the blind leading the blind unless we have some experience programmers to give us some tips now and them and help us along.

Okay, I finally got MSN working. You can IM me at Legend@chaos.talk-linux.com. What's your email address KingRage?

One tip, after you learn about classes, learn about the string class. Very, very helpful. I use C++, and for a while I've been using C string arrays. I knew about string class but didn't know how to use it, but I learned recently and it makes programming much easier.

This topic is 4850 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.