Starting programming - good book choice?

Started by
7 comments, last by ranakor 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm very low on resources, being a 17-year-old High School Student and Musician (that's like a double negative!)...so I was looking for a pretty cheap and cost-effective way of learning C++... I was lucky enough to have a cousin that had a copy of Microsoft Visual C++ Version 6.0 Compiler thingy, so I have a nice compiler... He also had a *huge* book called "Standard Version of: Starting Out With C++ 4th Edition" by Tony Gaddis. Was wondering if anyone had experience with this book? I was told that certain books are a *lot* better for learning a language by yourself than other book, and told to definatly stay away from the "C++ For Dummies" book if I intended to teach myself the language. Any help is appreciated! -Mythren
Advertisement
A book that's gotten good reviews right here on gamedev is Beginning C++ Game Programming. Teaches C++ in context of making games. Cheap too - about twenty bucks on amazon.
You can also Google for C++ tutorials. Do a search for "Thinking in C++". It's a free e-book that's great for beginning C++ programmers. There are also some quality tutorials at gametutorials.com and cprogramming.com They may be a little bit out of date but do not worry since there's not much difference between C++ now and C++ 10 years ago. (or am i wrong?)
http://www.pclx.com/itcc/

they have some nice tutorials
and you can listen to his lecture he gave
they recorded them all to mp3's
While I'm greatful for the input, what I'm looking for is more of a "has anyone tried this specific book that I happen to have and liked it" kind of thing?

I will, of course, check out all the free information sites I can, but I really don't like using my computer to do something and then tabbing out or pulling up something to read more instructions on what I'm doing....I dunno why, I'm weird - I'd rather have a hard-copy sitting on my desk while I'm working.

Thus, I hope those online resources have .pdf's or similair printable versions :).

Again, thanks for the input!

-Mythren
u r lucky u got ms visual c++ v . 6. i cost alot! i am a 14 year old musician and the book i just ordered is called "sams teach yourself c++ in 21 days". i ordered it from amazon. there are 2 types of that book. i got a compiler edition because i need a compiler which i would love to have ur 1. but this 1 comes with ms visual c++ intro edition. What instrument do u play? do u like blink 182? i play electric guitar.
the compiler edition cost 25 pound but the normal which i sugest for u is 17 pound. i hope i helped u. i have not got a clue how to program yet but i hope i will soon.
i'm trying to teach C++ to a friend online & he bought C++ primer plus 4th edition & i saw it had good reviews so i bought it to & i'd definatly recommend it

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322234/qid=1093893370/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-9148283-1969729?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

it seems to go in depth on stuff quite early (i mean it goes on explaining stuff early that you won't need untill later) but that's good because stuff stays organised by topic that way & u can use it as a reference it also seems very complete (i wouldn't buy a begginer kinda book most of them teach basic c++ & then you need to grab another book that teaches stl because 1st one only taught language basic but very little library use) also if u buy it & are a starter just for info you can pretty much ignore everything that says "if you are using a old compiler" in the book if u're gonna use visual c++ or dev c++
sorry last post was me i forgot to log in so re posting it in case u have 950 rating & under ignored

i'm trying to teach C++ to a friend online & he bought C++ primer plus 4th edition & i saw it had good reviews so i bought it to & i'd definatly recommend it

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322234/qid=1093893370/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-9148283-1969729?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

it seems to go in depth on stuff quite early (i mean it goes on explaining stuff early that you won't need untill later) but that's good because stuff stays organised by topic that way & u can use it as a reference it also seems very complete (i wouldn't buy a begginer kinda book most of them teach basic c++ & then you need to grab another book that teaches stl because 1st one only taught language basic but very little library use) also if u buy it & are a starter just for info you can pretty much ignore everything that says "if you are using a old compiler" in the book if u're gonna use visual c++ or dev c++

also this is a website with some very simple & tiny tutorials about c++ i suggest if you get confused in a chapter of the book you read the corresponding topic there (to grasp the logic behind the topic) & then re read the chapter of the book (to learn it correctly & more in depth) also if website & the book contradict each other trust the book

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement