Sign in to follow this  

radar

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what would be a good physic's engien to model radar in my project, i was thinking of haveing a invisable sphere or other sized shape for the radar waves of the aircraft and when another object enters this object it is detected but two problems i have is how can i have low flying planes for example get through the radar if the sphere is at land level and what if its a steath plane, i think i need a bettter solution, any ideas ppl

This is a problem I've investigated recently for use in tools for analysing capabilities in naval warfare.

From a highly scientific view what it boiled down to was an approximation model based on three components, namely the characteristics of: the radar/sonar, the target/source and of ambient elements (such as terrain or other sources of interference).

But those calculations are way to much to deal with when aiming for a good framerate. The easiest solution for you is probably to assign each target a value describing how well it is detected (reflection) and do something simple like
"if ( distance - reflect < radarrange ) pling();" with optional super-simple corrections for terrain interference/obstruction if the radar is at ground/sea level. E g if the angle between the target and the ground plane of the radar is less than something the target will not be seen...

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.