Design Documents

Started by
4 comments, last by cornflake 19 years, 7 months ago
It's a complete mess... For about 2 years, I've been preparing my game (not on a fulltime basis, I just wrote whatever would come to my mind whenever a good idea would spur). I've been sketching monsters, drawing towns, desinign npcs and their quests, I wrote couple of mini stories, writing lots of samples to see how directx would react, thought about the gameplay... I think I have have about 200-300 pages of stuff on paper and 10 uncompleted mini-projects (physics, spells, gui, etc). Now, I think I'm ready to put everything on a .doc so I'll stop having piles and piles of paper here and there and all over my appartment (stickie notes, napkins, sheets, you name it) I tried the search function but it didnt return anything relevant to what I'm looking for: a desing document template. ==> I'm trying to find a template or a complete document so I can put order into all this: to know which part I'm missing (like I just found out I never thought about the database management), what part I should concentrate more, how is everything linked together to make a game, etc, etc. I seek some help from this community... Could anyone point me out some links towards a doc or two? Thanks a bunch in advance.
Advertisement
Sadly, there's no standard template for game design yet, just a lot of suggested practices. I know at the end of Game Design: Theory & Practice, Rouse gives you two different templets.

Here's Al Lowe's design documents:
http://www.allowe.com/gamedesign/index.htm

If I find more design document links, I'll post them. I know I have a few more, I just have to look.

~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
We have a whole Article section here on GameDev, including several templates and tutorials [smile]

Have fun!
I'm not sure if I ever checked that section... When I come here, I straightly go on the forums to see what's new.

Darn, I'm SO sorry for the annoyance!
Quote:Original post by newborn
I'm not sure if I ever checked that section... When I come here, I straightly go on the forums to see what's new.

Darn, I'm SO sorry for the annoyance!

Ah, it's ok - there's a lot of gold to be found in the articles section if you dig around. Enjoy the reading!
The best one I've seen is by Chris Taylor. Search for his name and game design on the web, and you should find the download. It's very comprehensive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement