Sign in to follow this  

HLSL Tutorials

This topic is 4853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I simply cannot find some begginer tutorials on HLSL, searching google just throws up loads of books and articles about how to create stupidly complex shaders. All I want is something to walk through the basics of using textures and basic lighting, perhaps specular as well. Nothing complex. All the introduction articles I have found are on the asm code and not HLSL. I found two articles on Gamasutra that helped with the lighting, but I haven't found any for textures. Specifially using DirectX9. Any references greatly appriciated. Thanks, Chris

You could try out the Cg Tutorial. The Cg language syntax is the same as HLSL, and it covers the basics very well. It is what I used to learn shaders in general and I am now using HLSL.

Granted the Cg Tutorial is a book (meaning you have to pay for it), but it is well worth the $45 IMHO.

Hope that helps,

Jason Z

Did you check out the DX documentation (summer 2004)? There are some tutorials in there. They may not be basic, but you could get the idea, then maybe if you get stuck you could post some questions?

Jason Z

on the net on microsofts site there is a load of info
and lots explained

also you want to look at .fx files which can contain all kinds of stuff including hlsl and makes everything a lot easyer

also its worth downloading RTZEN demo
which allows you to plug togther a shader
visually, then you can read through the hlsl
and you get to learn how stuff works.

OMG! I'm pulling my hair out, I cannot get textures to work in RenderMonkey no matter what I try! *sobs*

Does anyone know how to do it? Or where I can find out how to do it, every example I've seen involves stupid 5 pass shaders that do so much crap I can't figure anything out :(

I just want a textured cube, nothing more, no lights, just a textured cube. I am amazed at either the lack of resources avaliable on this or just my total stupidty in not finding anything.

Please help!

Try shadertech.org they have some good articles.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0691BB0E-2336-4407-A80E-8832FAC9E479&displaylang=en

might also help, large download for 56k though.

Ah Ha! Thank you, it works! I can't believe that ATI don't even have a help file for RenderMonkey, my problem was simple, I didn't name my "sampler" in code the same as the "Texture Object" in the RenderMonkey GUI. How you are just supposed to know how to use it is beyond me, but I'm passed the first hurdle, thanks everyone for replying I appriciate your input.

:)

This topic is 4853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.