Sign in to follow this  

Space partitioning algorithms for large model editing

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i am looking for space partitioning algos suitable for vertex-editing and display of large models from a 3d surface scanner. What kind of space partitioning is generally used in modelling packages? I thought of some adaptive trees, like an ABT. But apart from the forum posts here there's arent any papers on adaptive binary trees (at least not in gfx context). Thank you very much for comments and hints. regards, Stephan

I'm not sure what kind of algorithms modelling packages use, but I do think that ABT's would do an exceptional job. They can subdivide space efficiently, narrowing it down to only the actual geometry, not wasting empty space. Also, because of their adaptive nature, they can handle dynamic geometry very well too (ie. adding vertices or triangles). The reason that you can't find any papers is because the algorithm described by Yann was invented by Yann. Someone may have done something similar, but AFAIK this particular implementation is unique.

This, this, and this are the major threads about ABT's, if you didn't already have them bookmarked... ;)

--Buzzy

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.