Sign in to follow this  

General Math & Gaming Question

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I was just curious as to what math courses are necessary for game programming. I would also like to know those which are the most important. I realize this is extremely general but if someone can give me a decent estimate that would be great. Also, can anyone recommend some good calculus books for self-teaching. I've taken Calc 1 through 3 but I'm hardly comfortable with my abilities. I'm pretty solid in Calc 1, shaky in Calc 2, and just plain rotten in Calc 3. If anyone can offer up some information, that'd be great. Thanks.

Well I took A-level Maths and Physics (a-level is 16-18 i dunno what that relates to in the USA). The maths topics were Statistics, Mechanics, And Pure Maths (maths for the sake of maths lol ). These covered alot of what ive seen needed for games programming (although some things were just skimmed).

For which is most improtants it depends on what your going to be doing. I guess the mechanics would be more improtant if you wanted to focus on Physics engines where the Pure would be more useless for doing 3D graphics and such like.

I recommend discrete math for learning about logic, functions, optimizations, etc. Plus it'll help you relax after calc being much simpler (in most ways)

Matrix Algebra is a great help in understanding 3D programming (and 2D, such as tranlations or transformations etc) where Calculus (in conjunction with Physics) helps you with physics applications in your games such as gravity, frictional forces, air resistance, forces, Vectors etc, Statistics and Logic, for AI as stated earlier in this thread.

I have done several subjects (corr.) in mathematics, and had to teach myself the entire year, so I can recommend at least 1 book if you're interested in brushing up calculus. (you should take notes and do the exercises, and try the concepts out)

ISBN 0-201-54977-8 Finney and Thomas, Calculus 2nd Edition

It has one slight draw back, but with a little thinking it can be over come, it lacks some really good examples, if you are stuck, online resources can help with those few problems. But otherwise, it's rather well explained in a way that seems understandable. (Graph drawing programs can assist the learning greatly)

Regards,
Ixeus

A strong sense of linear algebra and trig and calculus would be good I think. I took statistics and found it quite needless myself. If you understand proportions, then you don't need it in my opinion.

Though according to my school, DeVry, where my major is in programming, they think all we need is Algebra 1. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.