Sign in to follow this  

Looking for design docs on user controls like Textbox, ComboBox, etc...

This topic is 4851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm codign some of these controls from scratch, and they do work already, but I would like to see if someone came up with better ideas than I, and possible adopt them in my own design. Have you seen something like this on the web? Could you post a liky or something? Thank you very much!

You're unlikely to find a complete design document for controls as trivial as text boxes and combo boxes. I don't really see what kind of "ideas" you're expecting, these controls pretty much have well-defined behaviors that you shouldn't deviate from too much.

I'm worried about the font/text handling and displaying more than anything. I'm doing all this by myself too, so I would like to see how someone else handled this, just curious.

Why don't you take a look at how sun did it in Java. You can find the documentation here and the API here hope that helps.

EDIT: Ahh, where can I find a doc about what codes to use in this forum? I always forget how to do links etc...

@owl

I think that you could also look through the MSDN stuff for windows controls. They have a bunch of nice ideas that they used, their methods and interface are well designed, and I'd certainly reccomend using that (interface) as a starting point. I also seem to remember seeing some controls stuff used in a game situation in the source to Quake 2, but I'm not really sure if that's worth the download, because it's a pretty small subsection of the total code, and is pure C.

@garazdawi

I think that you can just use HTML and it'll work. Otherwise, there used to be a sticky, which has... (a few minutes later) been moved to http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/faq.asp With some of the tags around 1/2 way down, though it's really just the [ code ][ /code ] and [ source lang="cpp" ]
[ /source ] stuff that's useful...
[edit : Why did I expect that you'd be able to see what I was saying with the tags being replaced... Fixed.]

Anywho,

//end rant;

CJM

Quote:
Original post by Endurion
You might also want to take a look at http://www.codeguru.com or http://www.codeproject.com.

They feature tons of self written controls. They use MFC a lot, but the code is still there to look at and with minor modification runs also well in pure Win 32 API.

Both of these sites are great. I particularly like this control: CSizingControlBar

I would recommend that you take a look at the book Design Patterns, it uses a lot of GUI design examples. And if you take a look at the Java API you can see that they have used a lot of these common design patterns. This book should give you some basic ideas on how you could design your GUI. If you don't want to spend your money on the book you can read about them for free, try to google for the Model-View-Controller(MVC) pattern to start with. Good luck!

Quote:
Original post by Taharez
I always recommending taking a look at Crazy Ed's GUI, it's a WIP but cross-platform, renderer-independent and has a bunch of controls. It's also open-source so you can download it and check out every little detail.

I bet this is going to be interesting to look at. Thanks.

monkeyeez: I already have that book, a prior version though, still pretty good indeed.

Kibble and Endurion: Thanks, I've made some controls with the ATL library, which is kinda "easy" because you can reuse the many controls that already exist. Anyway, from what I've seen, the code for text handling/rendering is usually hidden.

Thank you all, consider yourselves rated :)

This topic is 4851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.