Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Detailed Operating System Info (Solved)

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm writing a library that needs to be able to get the specific version of Windows that's running. I've tried the Environment.OSVersion, but I need more info than it provides. I need to know things like: -Is the OS Home Edition or Pro -Is the OS Server, Workstation, DataCenter, etc. I haven't been able to find anything in the .Net Framework so far. I also tried the GetVersion and GetVersionEx functions in kernel32.dll, but GetVersion didn't provide enough information and GetVersionEx didn't seem to work. Any method of getting this information, be it in the .Net Framework or the native API, is fine with me, as long as it works. Alternatively, if anyone knows how to extract this information from the Version number returned in Environment.OSVersion, that would also work. (For example, Windows XP Home Edition is probably a slightly different version number than Windows XP Pro, right?) Any help is greatly appreciated, as always! [Edited by - TheBluMage on August 28, 2004 3:11:05 AM]

There is a Knowledge Base Article on this:
Q304283

It doesn't tell all the details; perhaps you should test the values returned on the O.S.es you want to support and just check for these values...

Cheers

[Edited by - ernow on August 28, 2004 2:32:03 AM]

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.