what should I do about 3d models?...

Started by
2 comments, last by JD 19 years, 8 months ago
I have zero friends that can do any sorta 3d modeling and I have tried my hand at it only to have it bitten off. I can do basics, but nowhere near good enough to make decent models for a game. How do you guys obtain resources? The only thing I can think of using quake3 models from poly count. What I would like to use would be unreal tournament 2003 models, but I haven't been able to find the file format. This of course is a problem I need to address now so I can work on the loader/renderer and animation system. Also, I have blender, openfx and gmax all on my system right now, but there really useless to me because I don't know how to model, and even if I could hack a couple of decent buildings, theres no way in hell I could create decent humanoid figures and animated them! Game development is slowly taking my sanity! lol.
www.jinx.com www.thebroken.org www.suprnova.org www.mozilla.org
Advertisement

This is a good place to pick up some free models:

http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/meshes.asp

I think there's also a big thread started around here about modelling tutorials and model downloads. I believe it was started by Veovis. Try doing a search for it.
You mean this one?

There's also a few cool tutorials and several models on Psionic's 3d Game Resources.
If no one can do them for you and you can't find or use the ones on the net or from games then you could make them yourself. With practice and studying some tutorials like milkshape ones you will get better. I plan to make my own models, not humanoid at first but some simple mechanical ones that are boxy looking. I modeled some character boots in milkshake that turned out pretty well. Look at some 3dsmax screenshot and they'll show some low poly monster being modeled and show overlapping wireframe. You can see how they put the polys together to form shapes and such. Then you do uv mapping and milkshake has good tutorial on how to do that as well. Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement