VC++ dont work with XP home?

Started by
10 comments, last by Etnu 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi! I was thinking of getting Visual C++, but my friend told me today that it wont work with XP home, and requires XP pro. I have XP home, and really wanted to get that compiler, am I out of luck? thanks.
Advertisement
Apparently your friend doesn't know what he's talking about because before I upgraded to XP Pro I used VC++. Besides, if by any chance it DOESN'T work, you can always return it.
Do you mean Visual C++ 6 or Visual C++.NET? Either way, I highly doubt that MS will throw in their own windows by excluding XP Home from using it. If you really need to know, check with a local resale center or ask your MS resaler.

Toolmaker

Both vs6 and vs.net 2002 and 2003 works on winxp home.

According the minimum specs on the packaging of my copy of VS.NET, Windows XP Pro is supported. Windows XP Home, by implication, is not _officially_ supported, but this doesn't mean it won't work. I've used it on XP Home myself, although I don't keep XP Home installed for long if I can avoid it. (This is VS.NET 2003, incidentally.)

If memory serves, some of the server-side tools and extensions can't be installed under XP Home, though this is probably because XP Home doesn't come with IIS. (XP Pro does, although it's often not installed by default.)

VS.NET will therefore whinge a little about not being able to support some fancy-pants ASP.NET features on XP Home, but this is rarely a problem for most people involved in game development.

The core toolset will, however, work fine.

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Ok that was what I thought, you see my friend probably just didnt do something right, arnt you supposed to download some XP SDK to get it to work anyway? If so thats probably what he did wrong.
It's ASP.NET 2.0 that doesn't work on XP Home, I believe. Everything else works fine.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Perhaps your friend has an old version. I have Windows XP Home and Visual C++ .NET 2003 and it worked fine right out of the box. It comes with a disk of prerequisite software, so if you are missing any survice packs or anything, it will install them for you during the installation phase. Aside from learning the IDE, and my own programming problems, I've not had any trouble.
It doesnt need service pack 2 does it? Because I have heard some reall horror stories about that patch.
Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about: I used VC++ 6 on Windows XP Home. I used a trial of VC++ .Net 2003 on XP Home. I am using VC++ .Net 2005 Express Edition Beta on Windows XP Home. It works on Home, irrefutably. Maybe it's not supported, but it works.

As I recall VC++6 and .Net 2k3 include the platform SDK. 2k5 Express, being express, doesn't include the platform SDK, but you can download that easily enough. Even without the SDK you can still make console programs no problem.
----Erzengel des Lichtes光の大天使Archangel of LightEverything has a use. You must know that use, and when to properly use the effects.♀≈♂?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement