Windows Installer SDK woes

Started by
2 comments, last by jflanglois 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I am trying to make an application that will uninstall Outlook automatically (upon user confirmation, of course) for an automated configuration of client computers. I'm not sure how to proceed about this. I've looked at MsiConfigureFeature, which seems to be what I should be using. I can find the Product GUID for Office, but I don't know how to get the Feature ID of Outlook. If I just put L"Outlook" in the szFeature argument, it fails - just as I would expect - with MSI claiming an "Error 2711. An internal error has occured. (Outlook)". If I try to enumerate features with MsiEnumerateFeatures as follows:
Quote:LPWSTR feature[MAX_FEATURE_CHARS + 1], parent[MAX_FEATURE_CHARS + 1]; DWORD fi = 0; while ( MsiEnumFeatures( L"{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}", fi, ( LPWSTR )feature, ( LPWSTR )parent ) != ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS ) { wcout << fi << " - " << feature << " - " << parent << endl; ++fi; }
I get 300 Features all with a feature ID of 0012FE3C and a parent ID of 0012FD98. So I'm not really sure what to do at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. jflanglois. [edit] MsiEnumFeatures actually does nothing with the feature and parent variables, since they initialize with those values. So I imagine I am using MsiEnumFeatures incorrectly. [edit2] MsiEnumFeatures returns ERROR_SUCCESS though...
Advertisement
Forget it. I found the ID. For those who are curious, it is OUTLOOKFiles in O2K3. I'll have to check on other office versions.
I can't find a direct download link, but you need Orca. I've worked with the MSI installer for a professional job and I found Orca to be very helpfull.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255905

Read that page and install Orca.

Toolmaker

Orca is what I used. I was just having trouble finding the right section. For some reason, "Feature" did not jump out at me...

Thanks for the suggestion though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement